Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Taman, Bali Homestay

Annie arranged our entire Ubud trip, and I simply tagged along. She had researched a tiny little bed and breakfast homestay in a small village west of Ubud called "Taman." When we coordinated that we would travel together and split the cost on everything, she simply emailed them to tell them that two people were coming instead of one. A really nice young man met us at Annie's villa in Kuta to pick us up, and drove us the hour and a half to the countryside. When we were shown our room it was absolutely charming. So, so quaint and much nicer and more special than my expectations. The couple who runs their one-room "cottage" are named Wayan and Aiyu, and they have two adorable, helpful, happy young boys. It is so nice to be with a local family, and there really aren't any other Westerners in sight. Below are pictures of our cottage, and our quiet first day and evening in Taman. After marveling at the flowers throughout our room and open-air bathroom, one of the little boys took us on an evening walk through the nearby rice paddies.

While I'm usually not excited by rice paddies because I taught in one for a year, the walk with this young boy was SO enjoyable...definitely one of the highlights of my entire trip. He reminded me of so many of my Thai students, and he had the best English I have ever heard from a 13 year old. He was very proud of his English and wanted to practice speaking. I told him that he could be an English teacher someday. He told me he wanted to be a guide :)

On our evening walk, Annie and I took so many different pictures. I was fascinated asking the little boy questions about what school was like for him: his teachers, his classmates, his uniforms haha. Then we stumbled upon his neighbors who were climbing a COCONUT TREE! There was a man all the way in the top of one. I've seen this painted in pictures in Cambodia, but I've never actually seen anyone way up there. It was absolutely incredible to watch him cut coconuts from the tree and then throw them to his wife on the ground. The little boy was talking with his neighbors, and they gave us a coconut! They cut it open right then and there on the spot, and then they cut part of a palm leaf and folded it into a cup. They poured the coconut juice into the leaf and handed it to me and Annie. Almost an entire liter of the freshest coconut juice I've ever had. Really cool to me...especially after having lived among coconut trees for a year in Thailand. It's never too late for first experiences :)


Our beautiful bedroom!
Complete with two flowers on the bed.

Gahhh! 

A bowl of flowers on our small desk :)

Annie and I joked that it's our honeymoon haha

LOVE

Beautiful mosquito net

View over my feet ;)

Annie! We both are picture crazy

Our bathroom had matching flowers!

Coolest bathroom I've ever seen

Our AMAZING open air stone shower!
Love the Buddha, and the plants growing everywhere!

Beautiful tropical flowers outside of our cottage

These ones are slightly different

Our evening walk

Me & Annie

Coconuts!

Lots of RICE!

Beautiful tree in the rice paddy

Rice, up close and personal.

Man carrying a heavy rice bag

Cool black Hanuman statue outside 


Beautiful Hindu temple

On our walk :)


A beautiful "spirit house" of types that
farmers constructed, and make offerings to,
to protect and "thank" their farm land/ harvest

Me and Agus

Do you see the man way up there in the
TALL coconut palm tree?!

Walking to the coconut tree!

There he is!!! Unbelievable

Agus and our coconut!

Bali cows

Me :)!

Woohoo!

Here he comes down the tree!!!

Wearing bags over his feet to protect them,
and absolutely no ladder (amazing)

Collecting the coconuts after they've been plucked 
and dropped to the ground :)

Annie taking a pictures of Agus

Agus tried to feed the cows hehe

Coconuts!!!

More Bali cows!!!

Agus cutting a banana tree leaf...

and folding it into a "cup" for the coconut juice

Another spirit house

Heavy load!

Beautiful sunset

No comments:

Post a Comment