After a harder than expected night in Miri, I was more than
ready to head to one of my key destinations on my Borneo trip: MULU NATIONAL
PARK! The only way to get there is to take a quick 30 minute flight to Mulu
from a little propeller plane. In the short time between waking up at my hostel
and arriving at Miri airport I had some extremely interesting conversations
with people. At my hostel, another man at the hostel asked me if I believe in
Jesus Christ. I told him that I didn’t (while peninsular Malaysia is very
Muslim, Sarawak is extremely Christian). They asked me what I believe in, and
to be safe, I said “Nothing…I was brought up in a very unreligious family.”
Then, as commonly happens when someone finds out I’m from America, they ask me
if I support Obama- to which I always exclaim “Obama!!!” because I have learned
very quickly that the rest of the world loves Obama. I mean loves. Then they always make some
comment about how Mitt Romney is “a very rich man” (as if Obama isn’t…) However, I received a question I’ve never
encountered before next, “How many wives does Obama have…two?” I replied, “No,
only one. In America you can only have one spouse.” One man joked, “Here, you
can have four!” I could tell that this group of more-relaxed Christians felt some
(understandable) tension with their “Muslim dominant leadership” on peninsular
Malaysia.
On the taxi ride from Minda Guesthouse to the airport, my
driver was a very kind man. He brought up Obama again, and kept telling me
“America very good, Malaysia very bad.” I asked him to describe what he meant,
and he went into a gentle rant on the Muslim government that discriminates
against citizens who are not Muslim. He said that if you are an ethnic minority
you cannot get certain jobs, and that you also cannot get certain
scholarships. He was very upset by
this, clearly. He told me that
many Malaysians do not like the current government, and are protesting. He told
me that the elections in Malaysia are completely rigged and unfair. He told me
that in Borneo, on Sabah, the government allows Indonesians and Filipinos to
live in Sabah (Malaysia) and vote in
the elections as long as they promise to vote for the Muslim
incumbent prime minister. He also told me that sometimes there are 94 people
registered to vote in one home, and that dead people “vote,” too. The elections
are completely corrupt and unfair (I heard similar complaints in Indonesia from
the family I stayed with, as well). Then he went on to say, “America very
good…fair elections.” Americans are notorious for complaining during election
season, and many Americans say that our elections are unfair in that only
wealthy people can get far enough to even become a candidate. However, *fair is
a comparable term. After hearing this man, I felt very lucky for American
elections and a functioning democracy.
After the end of this conversation, my taxi driver told me
that he is “Kayan,” one of the ethnic minorities of Malaysia. He told me that
the Muslim government took his land, and that he has no rights. I then, for the
first time on this whole trip, told the man that I am Jewish. He laughed and
clapped his hands. We had a moment…this
shared bond J
He then told me to be careful, because if the government finds out that I am
Jewish/ anti-Muslim government they will bar me from Malaysia. He then told me
that so many people here are pro-Palestine, but if he could, he would “vote and
support Israel.” He told me, “they bomb Israel, and Israel has the right to
defend itself.” Did this conversation
really just happen in Malaysia?!
This whole concept of “unity” between religion and state is
one that I struggle with, as it is contrary to what we’re taught in America. In
America, you can practice any religion, and (many) Americans pride themselves
on having many religions and accepting many different cultures into our
“melting pot.” Even the crescent moon on the Malaysian flag symbolizes an
Islamic state. However, can you imagine if you’re not Islamic? About 40 percent of Malaysians are not Muslim. That is
a very large number to be represented by that crescent moon on their flag.
(Fascinatingly, the flag of the state/ province of Sarawak looks like the
Malaysian flag but does not have the crescent moon…)
At the airport, the taxi driver shook my hand and actually
gave me some of my money back (this is the second time or so that this has
happened to me in a taxi after a meaningful conversation). However, I then just
tipped him more! I always feel that, if I have the money to travel to all of
these wonderful places, I have the money to treat other people well. He thanked
me a lot. This short, but significant conversation reminded me of the
conversation I had with my motorbike driver in Vietnam, who was also not happy
with the one party that was in power there. There are a lot of problems in this
world, and a lot of real injustices.
Then I went to the airport, checked in, and cried.
Fortunately, soon I was on the plane to Mulu, and the ride
itself was beautiful (I had a window seat!) There was so much lush greenery,
and rolling mountains. After
signing in at the National Park, I booked all of my tours for a jam-packed two
days. Unfortunately it rained for those two days, but I still got to see some
very amazing things. On my first day, a new Swiss friend and I went on a
botanical nature walk, and then we went to the famous “Deer Cave” where we saw
thousands of bats dangling from the tall cave’s ceiling, and were caught in a
full on downpour thunderstorm on the walk over. It was incredible to see,
though. We waited for the bats to fly from 5 -6:30pm, but they never came. The
next day, I explored Wind and Clearwater Cave (very different, but equally
spectacular caves) and I even swam- in my clothing- in the Clearwater
River. In the afternoon, my
expectations were exceeded again on a “Canopy Walk” tour. I felt a little bit
like I was at an amusement park, but Mulu was truly spectacular. No wonder Mulu
is a UNESCO World Heritage Site!
I waited for a second time to try and see the bats fly, but
they didn’t leave the cave (bummer!) That night I excitedly waited for my
“Night Walk” but then it started downpouring again and the tour was canceled. I
did, however, have a two hour great conversation with a German couple on their
way home from a 3-year stint living in New Zealand, and it was wonderful to
speak with them. Determined to find the glowi-in-the-dark fungi that I came to
see, I went on a night walk by myself in the rainforest with a flashlight until
the lit pathway ended. Then it was really scary, and I went home. Even though I
didn’t get to see the bats or the glowing mushrooms that I’d come to see, I saw
some really incredible insects: a Stick Insect, a hot pink smelly bug, a bright
orange hammerhead worm, rainbow lantern bugs, some of the brightest, largest
butterflies I’ve ever seen (in particular a white butterfly with black polka
dots all over it that was literally the size of both of my hands put together)
and a grasshopper that had a camouflage “leaf” on its back that was part of its
body...amazing. The competition for
survival here is so extreme, so the biodiversity and the selection matches that extremity. I have never seen
anything like this in any other jungle or rainforest I have visited.
If I ever come back to Mulu, I really would love to do the "Adventure Caving." I need to come in July or August to see the bats, too! One of the highlights of my trip was seeing all of the crazy cool insects. My only complaint about my experience (besides missing both the bats and the glow in the dark mushrooms haha) was that at times I felt like my "hand was being held" by the staff at Mulu. Visitors are such "tourists" there.
With all of the rain, though, I'm ready to move on! I have seen so many caves that I'm not that easily impressed anymore...but these were on a different level!!!
Beautiful clouds on the flight to Miri, Sarawak, Borneo
Welcome to Miri!
Minda Guesthouse, a great place
Durian!
Some of the grossest drink names ever
Happy Thanksgiving from BORNEO! No turkey here, but
(luckily...phew!) I found a beachside cafe playing Simon & Garfunkel
and serving Hawaiian pizza and vanilla milkshakes. For all of you
people judging the pineapple on my pizza, it's actually judging you
And we're off to MULU!!!
Palm tree farms :(
Important news in the world
Now this is a river!
Reminds me of a commercial or something (if it were a road!)
SQUIGGLES! Amazing...
Arrived in Mulu!
Flowers on the walk to my hostel IN the national park
Isn't this one pretty?
Moss is the ancestor of ALL plants! It also used to be algae!
The Botanical Trail in Mulu
Some beautiful moss on a tree
(Moss actually helps trees, etc.)
Without bats many fruits such as mango, banana and
durian would disappear from our lives!
A cool lizzard!
A different angle of this little guy
Moss growing on a leaf!
This is what ginger looks like!
Have you ever seen climbing bamboo?!
SO BUMMED I DIDN'T SEE
GLOW-IN-THE-DARK FUNGI!!!
Look at this little guy!
Wild bananas!
Red millipede!
So many legs...I loved watching it
Fuzzy caterpillar! (You shouldn't touch these ones because
they can irritate your skin.) I wonder what beautiful
butterfly it is (definitely) going to become?
I forget what you call this kind of tree, but it is spiky
and tons of ants live in it. However, it is a symbiotic
relationship- the ants protect the tree, and the tree protects
the ants. If you gently "shake" a branch you can hear the ants!
I discovered this guy!
Hammerhead worm!
I WISH my camera was nicer. Before my next trip
I will invest in a high quality camera!
Probably my favorites: Lantern bugs!
Inside the famous Deer Cave!
It actually really does look like Abraham Lincoln's profile!!!
This was a giant "showerhead" way up on
the roof of the cave...drip drip dripping water!
Cool shot inside the very impressive Deer Cave
Just outside of the caves
Waiting for the bats to fly around 5pm...
They never came.
Again, so bummed that this picture didn't turn out.
This was a grasshopper that literally, literally had a "leaf"
design as part of its body for camouflage. Amazing!
The most delicious sweet & sour chicken at the national park
(completely overpriced, though)
Day #2 at Mulu: Boat ride to a local village, some more
different caves, the Canopy Walk, and the Night Walk
(canceled due to rain :/ )
Ready to go
My German friend, Michael, who went with me
View from the cool entry bridge to Mulu National Park
Cruising...
Such a small boat!
The views, and "free" feeling I had on this boat were one
of the highlights of my time in Mulu
Two little girls doing laundry
Beautiful shot, right?
(When I saw this picture I couldn't help
but think that American kids are so spoiled)
The Penan village we went to
For some reason, I love this house
Baby chicks!
Beautiful mountains surrounding Mulu
Morning dew on banana leaf
Back in the boat
Hi!
Entrance to the Wind Cave (or Clearwater?!)
The holes in this plant are not from insects. This plant
has been selected to grow these holes naturally to let
heavy rainfall now weigh it down! Amazing...
Great Mormon Butterfly
Simply awe-inspiring...the kind of colors you only find in the rainforest!
It's head was bright red!
Clearwater River
Stalactites hanging at the entrance to Clearwater Cave
The "roof" at one point!
Climbing out of the caves
Green on one side, dripping slalactites on the other!
Both caught in the sunlight :)
Look at the sun here!!!
Can you see the SCALE of this cave?
Those are stairs way in the distance
A different angle.
Boy, these pictures do not do justice!!!
Leaving the caves
Beautiful!
Peeking outside from the cave.
I feel like "Grendel"!
Forgetting my bathing suit didn't stop me from a jungle swim ;)
With the family who did all of the same activities with
me the two days we overlapped hahaha
Loved this swimming :)
The blue water in the distance is actually coming out from the cave!
The World Heritage Convention
Some other places: Kilimanjaro (Tazania),
Uluru-Kata Tjuta (Australia), The Great Barrier Reef (Austr.)
The Grand Canyon (USA)
The "hostel"...41 Ringgit/ night (about $12 USD)
within Mulu National Park
My bed :)
Another lantern bug!!!
A HOT PINK (didn't really come out) smelly stink bug!
A very large tree (!!!)
Does this look like a normal picture to you?
It's not...
Stick Insect!!!
(The green "branch" pointing diagonally in the middle)
To give you a sense of how big it was: almost a foot!
Camouflage is the stick insect's only defense!
(It also felt very soft!!)
The Canopy Walk!
Much cooler than I expected
Whoah...so shaky!
Hi
Way up in the canopy of the rainforest!
(The walk is about 400 meters)
So crazy cool
Look at this tree go...down down down!
I really enjoyed this tour.
Another beautiful, large butterfly
Bats are the world's ONLY flying mammals.
They can fly up to 60 miles/ hour!
"Both male and female care for the young and males
also have mammary glands and are thought to play an active
role in lactation and feeding their pups"
Echolocation is possibly the coolest thing ever.
Some bats have such good echolocation that they can
even detect fish in the water!!!
Day #2 trying to see the bats fly.
I waited for 2 hours, but they still didn't come out :(
Praying mantis
Islam "Halal" food stamp
(Sort of like a Kosher "K"?)
Goodbye Mulu, off to the Sultanate of Brunei!
No comments:
Post a Comment