Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Chinese College Students for the Day :)

After Yangshuo, Joey and I took a bus back to the city of Guilin, where our old-new Chinese friend Sunny met us at the train station. She had invited us to come see her university about 45 minutes outside of the city, and Joey and I both thought that it would be extremely interesting to check out a Chinese university! Sunny attends "Guanxi Normal University." As soon as our bus arrived, she took us to one of her favorite local restaurants for hotpot! Up until this point, Joey and I had been rather disappointed in the food. We concluded that we just needed a Chinese person to help us order correctly...our meal was amazing. 

After lunch, Joey had to go to the bathroom. When he came back, I asked him "How was it?" Joey paused, and then quietly responded, "I think that you should go. And bring your camera." And that's my clue to HOLD IT IN!!!

Then, the 3 of us ran off to class (literally). We were late for Japanese class...in China! So cool. Shuffling into class, I got really nostalgic. College life, and academia in general, really is the absolute BEST. Her professor was also awesome, and he had Joey and I introduce ourselves, saying where we're from, where we're traveling, etc. I felt so welcomed. Such a cool day.

After class, Joey and I headed to the library, where he read some Shakespeare and I took a 2 hour nap (I guess some things never change). From there, Sunny gave us a tour of her campus (I loved loved loved seeing all of the evening basketball players, joggers, etc.)! We ate dinner in her dining hall, and then she gave me a tour of her dorm room. It was absolutely fascinating to see her room: she lived in a strictly all-girls dorm, and all of the beds were bunked with mosquito netting. Every room (or quad, I should say) had a balcony for washing clothing and hanging them dry. Same same but different!

Sunny saw us onto our bus back to Guilin, giving us some oranges for the road :) Joey and I both agreed that it was a really special, really unique day we just got to experience :)


At restaurants in China, many plates and cups come
wrapped in plastic like this to ensure cleanliness.
(Really bad for the environment though...)

Joey, Sunny, and I at our delicious, very authentic
meal right near Sunny's university :) We ate a beef and
onion hotpot, and the waiter gave us the glazed, fried
donuts because he's friends with Sunny (KA-CHING!)
Joey and I agreed it was the best meal we'd had in China yet.

I'm a college student at a university in China!!!
So cool sitting in on a Japanese literature class at
a Chinese university. Made me miss my college days!

College students playing basketball and running.
Ahh this picture made me miss college and one of our
fields near the dining hall, called "Apel," so much.

Sunny's dining hall dinner: stir fried lettuce, sweet potatoes,
honeyed carrots with meat, and RICE! (Not sticky rice though..)

Chinese dormitories!!!

One of Sunny's 3 roommates, on their balcony!

Inside the dorm room...4 top bunk beds with mosquito 
nets, desks underneath. Same same but different in USA!

Sunny being cute! (Behind her is a balcony that every quad
dorm has: It has a sink to was dishes or laundry, and lots of
space to dry clothing!) Boy and girls dorms must be separated,
and there were actually guards there making sure that no boys 
(or girls) snuck into opposite sex dorms! (Because that stops people...)

One of the desks and a little messy closet!

Me, Sunny, and one of her roommates

Me and Sunny's two other roommates!

Sunny took us to the most DELICIOUS bakeshop called
"Harvest Bread." Joey and I stocked up on carbs for our 
28 hour train ride (which turned out to be 31 hours...)

A Chinese "burrito"!!! Crepe style wrap, bean spread,
egg, fresh lettuce, and some meat! I wish that I could eat
this again. The best thing I ate in China (yet again!) and 
only 4 Yuan! (About 60 cents :))

BIRTHDAY CAKE OREOS FOR EMILY!!!

Me, Sunny, and Joey, before Sunny sent us on our way
with a bag of oranges she picked up for us :)

Joey in all of his glory: 3 bags and 5 water bottles

On the train, in the dining car. This young (reallyyy smelly)
drunk was giving the train workers a hard time (but they also 
loved it). I snuck a picture, and 20 minutes later one of the workers 
came up to me and made me delete it!!! I sneakily deleted a
different picture. That is not their right!!! Bullies. Also, why are they
concerned about a drunk on a train on a foreigner's camera?
Everyone knows that there are drunks in every country.
I am proud that I have this pic still!



No comments:

Post a Comment