Monday, November 12, 2012

Sanur, BALI! (Indonesia)

I have spent the past 4 days in my very generous friend's absolutely STUNNING Bali home! A few months ago when I was planning my Asia tour, I was on the fence on whether or not to come to Bali. My friend told me that I absolutely must come. So, I booked my Air Asia ticket from Beijing to Bali!!! (Now there'a plane ticket I never thought I'd have in my name!) I have to say, after a freezing Beijing, and relatively overall difficult (but good!) time in China, I was very much ready for Bali by November 7th :)

My friend kindly arranged for her driver to pick me up from the airport, which turned out to be a huge relief/ help because the airport, although small, was very hectic, and I had absolutely no idea where to go. My friend's driver knew exactly where the home was...and it was in such a private, secluded, windy lane that I was very grateful that I didn't need to deal with a regular taxi driver not knowing where to go. It was also on this taxi ride that my driver informed me that Obama won the election! It's kind of funny to think that I, an American, found out who won my own country's (historic) election after the rest of the world on a taxi ride in Bali, Indoneisa haha. Whether or not you are an Obama supporter, one thing that I've noticed, and experienced, first hand is how much the rest of the world loves Obama.

Off the top of my head, other "surreal" experiences/ feelings for me over the past 13 months in Southeast Asia (from an American persective). I have felt both "connected" and "disconnected," if that makes any sense!

- Teaching and celebrating the 4th of July in Thailand
- Watching the summer Olympics in Thailand
- Ambassador Stevens being murdered by extremists in Libya
- Hurricane Sandy
- The 2012 Presidential Election

Once at the house, I was warmly greeted by Wati...my friend's live in maid. Wati kindly showed me to my room, told me she would do my laundry, and cook me food if I was hungry. She showed me to my gorgeous princess room (!), and then brought fresh cold drinking water up for me. I felt so happy and relaxed and welcomed. Wati also did an absolutely amazing job keeping the house looking perfect. Coming from China, and from slumming it in cheap hostels for the past 5 weeks, staying in my friend's beautiful gorgeous home and being taken care of was such a TREAT!! I also couldn't help but think about the fact that this friend who was so kind and generous to me is a new friend- I met her on my travels in April! It was so incredibly kind of her to let me stay at her home, and I hope that someday I can do something similar for someone else. (I'll take a chance, a kind chance, on someone ;))

I don't have that many stories to tell (because I literally just hung out at the house for 4 days straight!) After you look at the pictures, wouldn't you?! I am currently at the most WONDERFUL home stay just outside of Ubud. It is so magical. (A post on that coming soon for sure! Today was one of the best days of my whole trip...)

If you like architecture or landscaping or anything that's beautiful :), you will enjoy the absolutely gorgeous pictures of my princess life that I led for a few days :)



I have arrived. 
Princess bed!!!

My room :)

I haven't used a bathroom like this in ages!!!

View from on my bed :)

The outdoor walkway/ balcony outside of my room

 
View from the balcony outside of my room!

Beautiful living and dining room 

The pool!

When I first arrived, Wati had rolled the towels and 
placed flowers on each of them...like a resort!

To get internet, everyday Wati would drive me to 
Cafe Batujimbar. And everyday, I would order and
take a pic of a different pice of pie. Lemon Meringue!

The pool and cabana at nighttime. Sigh...

Wati would turn on my air conditioning, close the drapes,
and turn on the lights before bedtime. Turn down service!!

Wati also is an excellent cook. On my first night, we went
to the market together. I bought lots of groceries and she
cooked me a feast! Dinner for one :)

They had CABLE! Watching "The Fresh Prince of Bel Air."
Also, Wati is an artist. Before I arrived she cut fresh flowers
from the garden and artfully arranged them throughout the house.
How pretty are the flowers on the table?!

Another beautiful pool shot...I couldn't stop taking pictures!

View from my cabana couch bed!

Wati spoiled me...every morning she would bring me
breakfast in the cabana by the pool. First course was
always fresh tropical fruit, artfully arranged ;)

Watermelon, Mango, Papaya

Peppered eggs, toast with butter, and tea!

Tangerines and a delicious juicy fig-tasting fruit!
(My favorite...in Thai it's called "lamud")

My room again...I couldn't help myself!
Birds of Paradise artfully arranged by Wati :)

The ceiling...sigh!

View from the back of the pool

Where I spent 4 days straight ;)

Here too

Orchids everywhere

Flowers!!!

More orchids

Cafe Batujimbar, Day #2: Mango pie!

Dinner for one, night #2

Fried rice, vegetable soup, spring rolls, SALAD

More beautiful fresh fruit by the pool!

Orchids

Orchids!

View looking up from swimming inside the pool.
Oasis!!!

Me!

Me again

Eating dinner

Yummy yummy :)


No comments:

Post a Comment