Monday, November 19, 2012

Penang, Malaysia: Bridge Marathon & Tropical Spice Garden!

My friend Nicki and I took a 22 hour train from Bangkok, Thailand to Penang, Malaysia on November 16th. After my experience on Chinese trains, I wasn't entirely looking forward to it, but it turned out to be fine...pleasant actually! On these trains there were no "cabins" per se, but actual seats that collapsed and folded into beds...complete with head room (if you're on the bottom bunk!) and privacy curtains! It was great. On the train I met two Canadian guys who had Canadian stickers all over their backpacks (Nicki and I concluded that they probably put them on because they didn't want to be confused for Americans haha). BUT one of them was reading my same "SE Asia on a Shoestring" book, and while I'd pulled out the pages for Malaysia, I forgot that I'm going to Brunei on this leg of the trip too! They were very kind and let me read up :)

Penang, Malaysia exceeded my expectations. All of them. It was a quaint, magnificently charming town with so much history and a "colonial" feel. The whole main town of Georgetown is a World Heritage Site, and as soon as you step foot on the island, you'll see why! Besides the beautiful old pastel buildings that line the street, there are beautiful beaches, playful "cyclos," and the best food, arguably, in all of Malaysia. Most importantly, I felt incredibly welcomed, and helped, but the local Malaysians (a very different feel than China haha!) I also enjoyed the mix and coexistence of the dominant cultures and religions: Chinese, Indian, and (Muslim).

After getting about 3 hours of sleep, it was time to wake up (around 1am) for the Penang International Bridge Marathon! Nicki and her friend Alice were doing the half, which started at 3am. I was the only one who had set my alarm, and when it went off, Alice half-awake said, "It's okay we have time the race doesn't start until 3." Nicki and I were both more alert and found that hilarious. I had my camera charged, and I played the role of "Mom" offering to hold their belongings and take pictures. To be honest, I wasn't not looking forward to the marathon, but I also wasn't completely looking forward to waking up for it. (At the race, in the darkness, I remember thinking "You two are crazy and I'm the only sane one here.") I couldn't have been more wrong. Simply being at the marathon was so exciting and positive. The people-watching was incredible, and I felt like I was "part" of something so great. Having just arrived from Thailand, I was still excited to see women running the marathon wearing their head scarves. The thought of people, from all over the world, coming together to share a long run and similar goals brought tears to my eyes. As did the sight of a man in a wheelchair scooting by in his wheelchair. 22,000 people. 22,000 goals. There was such a dense concentration of positive energy! I need to remember to go to races to cheer people on, because it felt so great. I saw the first runners take off, and the winner- escorted by police motorcycles, break the white winner-banner. I found it fascinating the way the race was timed (boys started 15 minutes before the girls group). I liked watching the people who threw their hands in the air when they crossed the finish line. I also like that many Malaysians asked me later, "Did your friend win?" (instead of "Did your friend finish?") I think that this English "glitch" is actually better the first way. Every one who participated won.

Then I fell asleep, on a concrete step, like a homeless person. I was out. Nicki and Alice said that my eyes were half open and they tried closing them but nothing happened. Weird! (And kind of creepy)

In the afternoon, Nicki and I took a bus outside of Georgetown to the Northwest coast to check out Penang's "Tropical Spice Garden." I had expectations, but my expectations were actually exceeded! The Tropical Spice Garden was a path of intertwined jungle paths, stepping stones, and huge-leafed plants. I spotted some vanilla vines growing there, too ;) Nicki and I got lost on the beautiful paths, and found ourselves at a Giant Jungle Swing! It was the coolest thing ever (see pics below). Through the trees, the whole Topical Spice Garden had glimpses of the neighboring ocean. Just beautiful. The gift shop was also exceptional...I bought a panoramic photograph (that fit in my backpack, of course!) of some beautiful old Georgetown pastel houses. Nicki and I then ended our afternoon at the beach across the road, with kilos upon kilos of fresh tropical fruit (mangosteen!)

On the bus ride back, Nicki and I started the trend of giving up our seats for an elderly couple. There were two Malaysian boys sitting next to us, and then they followed suit when the next elderly couple arrived. It was pretty adorable and funny :)

Nicki and I then checked (her) into her new, nice hotel: 23 Love Lane. We were served complementary drinks (Yum Town!) and I enjoyed some fast internet. We thought that we would spend the afternoon laying low; it had already been a long day. Boy were we wrong...! (The next post will be about our evening ADVENTURES!)

Penang is such a flavorful, colorful city. It cannot be missed if you visit Malaysia!!!



Eating some delicious sweet & sour chicken on the
train from Bangkok, Thailand to Penang, Malaysia 
(before our seats were turned into beds!)

A crew-member miraculously changes the train car
seats into bunk-style beds!

All other passengers are already sleeping behind me.
..And everyone has their own privacy curtains!
I'm definitely not in China anymore!

Popping out from my bed with a "SE Asia on a Shoestring"
book I borrowed from my friendly Canadian neighbors

Boarding the ferry to Penang.
You mean I can't bring my cow?!

This is inside the ferry...there were cars with their owners inside!!!
(Guess they were afraid to drive the LONG bridge?)

Penang: First Glimpse!

Do you see the McDonald's VIP drive-through sticker?!
This is, apparently, a status symbol in Malaysia.

Some beautiful, brightly colored buildings that 
reminded me of Puerto Rico on our hostel's street.

I love the shutters :)

Sleepung kitty! (Then yawning kitty)

It was HOT! Here I'm eating a Magnum chocolate
ice cream (the only kind of truck I would rob) in front
of a Chinese "spirit house." Do you see the pineapple?

23 Love Lane
The most gorgeous boutique hotel ever!!!

St. George's Church: The oldest Anglican church in 
all of SE Asia! The church was completed in 1818.

Interesting sign...what's Alpha?

Another "old meets new" street. I love that yellow building.

A park near the beach: people playing soccer, and just
enjoying themselves. I remember thinking, "This is the stuff of life!"

In front of the beautiful old Town Hall!


City Hall (right next door) and a beautiful Muslim wedding!

The bride and groom

Speaker's Square: "The right to freedom of speech, 
assembly, and association is guaranteed"
- Federal Constitution of Malaysia
(Still figuring out how true this is though!)

In front of the gorgeous beach!

The boy to my left recognized me from our train ride!
He and his friends and Nicki and I hung out for a bit,
 shared some laughs, and just had a fun time together :)

Nicki and I stumbled upon this man with snail shells. He invited
us over to see what he was doing: He was snipping the end 
of their shells off so that people could more easily eat them.

Such beautiful shells, and snail homes, ruined!

Love Lane!

This historical sign says something like, "The place 
where Jimmy Choo first had his apprenticeship" (!!!)

Nicki and I

Claypot frog porridge, anyone?

At the Red Garden food market: fresh mango, papaya,
and pomegranate, along with a DELICIOUS Malayan
fried food that you dip in spicy-sweet chili sauce!

Chao Goy Teeow
(Malayasia's version of Pad Thai :))

2am...walking with the pack of runners heading 
to the Penang International Bridge Marathon

Alice (Nicki's friend) and Nicki!

The men's half-marathon runners are lined up and the gun is about 
to go off...(Also check out that police man's uniform! One of the
things I love seeing on my travels is the different police
uniforms in different countries!)

And they're off!

It was SO EARLY! Spectators, even runners who 
were waiting for a later race, were passed out. 

This man brought tears to me eyes. 
He was racing on a wheel chair, and he was 
about to cross the finish line :)

From left: Nicki, Alice, Alice's random friend, and Mark

Coming into the finish line!

Nicki after her  race. Congrats!

Love this 7/11. This same store had a sign on 
the door earlier in the day, handwritten, that said:
"Close for few minutes. Staff to go bathroom" hahah

Display at the Tropical Spice Garden!!!

The Tropical Spice Garden had several different trails, 
and it was just a treasure-chest of nooks and jungle-crannies :)

Me underneath some larger than life leaves!

Do you see the GIANT JUNGLE SWING?!

A lovely place for a picnic :)

Coolest tree house ever. Actually, more like one giant
tree house. You could also see the ocean peak through the trees!

Lush, green, and magnificent!

Children playing on the giant jungle swing!

So, so amazing. I want to install one of these someday!

It's me (left) and Nicki!

Giant Jungle Swing!!!

Have you ever seen how a pineapple grows on a stalk?!

This tree actually stuns and catches fish with a large 
toxic seed that is used as bait!

Picture perfect at the Tropical Spice Garden :)

You can't really tell by the picture, but this view
overlooks the ocean (peaking through the trees!)

The AMAZING gift shop!

Tropical fruit is back!!! In China, I paid 50 cents for 
one teeny mangosteen! Here, I could get several for that price ;)

I bought 2 kilos for 10 Ringgit, and headed to the beach!


Mangosteen and a boat :)

One lonely boat

One lonely man

Me!
(Notice the Muslim woman behind me going 
swimming in her head scarf and everything!!)

Our new friends! They wanted a picture with us and then
for us to go swimming with them haha. We taught them
the new English word "sassy" hahaha

Nicki checked into 23 Love Lane, and our new friend, 
Redho, mixed us refreshing welcome drinks!

In the drink: Gingerale, nutmeg juice, and blended ice

Such a beautiful hotel!

Fresh, free food too!

Nicki's huge amazing room

The other side of it :)

beautiful decorating!

No comments:

Post a Comment