Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Kuta, Bali: SURFING (!), Clubbing, and Shopping :)

Yesterday, I (sadly!) left the home oasis I hadn't left for the past 4 full days of R&R :) Wati drove me on her motorbike to the bus station, where I took a local 30-minute bus to Kuta, Bali. Kuta is the main "party area" where most of the Australian tourists go to surf and to club. All I can say is that it is a very "intense" place!!! In many ways, it reminded me of a less sleazy Pattaya or Phuket, Thailand.

I had the Facebook message and street name of the villa guest house that my friend Annie was staying at. Annie and I had been emailing for the past few months about meeting up in Bali when we realized that our trips overlapped. Hilariously, Annie and I had never met in person. We were introduced, again via Facebook, by a mutual friend who I met in Hong Kong in April. (It really is such a small world of networking and connections!!!) When I showed up at Annie's guesthouse, she wasn't back yet from her day trip to Gili Island (which she said was fabulous). I waited by the pool for her. Finally, I saw what I thought to be her and a friend come home. We introduced ourselves and hugged for the first time (I forgot that Americans often hug as greetings!) From there, I put my stuff in her room, we all changed into our bathing suits, and headed to the BEACH!!!!!

Kuta Beach is really special. It's packed with people, great waves, and surfers galore. I actually took a surfing lesson with a really nice Indonesian boy for an hour and 15 minutes. It was supposed to be 45 minutes, but I think he liked me haha. It was my first time surfing, and as I was paddling out on my surfboard into the setting sun, I couldn't help but be overwhelmed with joy and gratefullness and a sense of "I can't believe this is real life." How lucky am I to be in Bali...learning how to surf?! Sometimes life really is unbelievable in the best way. Also, I LOVED surfing. It was addicting...and this is coming from not a particularly sporty person. I stood up on my first try ;) When you're standing and riding a wave, even a small wave, you can't help but feel an incredible rush.

Back on the beach, Annie and I kept being asked to be in pictures with random Indonesian men. We were wearing our bikinis. At first I was taken aback by it, so I stood in a photo with one man. Afterwards, I politely said that I would be in photos but I covered by body with a dress. (I don't even like taking bikini photos in the US...definitely not with some rando guy in Bali!) However, even still clothed, some people wanted pictures. It was surreal, too, in that there were some women fully clothed in Burkas, and then there was a whole Western population in bikinis. Sometimes even the women would want photos! It was just one of those weird things that I accept that I'll probably never understand.

On the beach, I also happened to make friends with two really cool Australian girls from Perth. They told me that it's only a 3 hour flight! They worked in the mining industry in Perth- working 12 hour days at the above-ground iron mine for 2 weeks, and then getting 1 week off. The iron is exported to China (fascinating stuff!) They also found it awkward that random Indonesian men wanted photos with them, and joked that our pictures with the men will probably show up on the cover of some porno (I did not find this joke funny). They had their luggage at the beach because they were getting ready to head straight to the airport, and they also had some extra alcohol with them. The two of them, Annie and I sat on the beach, finishing their alcohol with them (including coffee flavored Patron haha) and watching the Kuta fireworks at night. There was also an absolutely GORGEOUS sunset. One of the Indonesian men selling sodas came over to one of the Australian girls, put his arms on her shoulders and tried to give her a big kiss on her lips. She quickly, uncomfortably turned her face so it landed on her cheek, without saying anything to him. The rest of us were watching, and it was SO INAPPROPRIATE. None of us knew how to handle a situation like that, because 1. It was so shocking and 2. It's a different culture, so we're all concerned about being sensitive with that fact. We discussed it afterwards, and concluded that he probably thinks that Western women are "easy" based off of Hollywood and the bikini-clad bods that he sees everyday. In the future, I think that I would politely tell him, "It's not okay to do that to women in your culture, and it's not okay to do that in mine either." What would you do?

The four of us left and headed to a nearby McDonald's for some cheeseburgers and fries (YUM!) We chatted for another two hours before they had to leave. It was lovely. At night, Annie and I almost didn't go out. We decided to "just see" the night scene around midnight. We met two very very drunk Australian guys who saw Annie and I sitting together behind some motorbikes (finishing our spiked coca cola water bottles obviously!) They followed us to the nearby club Sky Garden, and bought us Bintang beers. When another Australian man approached me and started talking with me, the Australian man who bought me the beer shoved the new Australian guy that was just talking with me. The two of them almost got into a huge fight! Security came over, and everything was fine. (Good to know I still have game though hahaha...can check two strangers fighting over me off of my list!)

Annie and I spent the rest of the night smoking hookah (shesha!) with some cool Indonesia men, one of whom was Annie's surf instructor! It was a wild night. We got home past 5am, after stopping for the most delicious meat kababs ever. 



A beautiful temple in Bali
(One of millions, actually)

First glimpse: Kuta Beach

Me with my surf instructor, Evan!
I bargained and got 45 minutes for 100,000 Rupiah 
(about 10 dollars) but we were having so much fun
that it ended up being an hour and fifteen minutes!

People on the beach were laughing...
Evan showing me how to balance on the board

I'm a pro already!

Evan needs to stop laughing.

I am so surfer chic

Look at me standing up...first try!

Me and Evan. I'm paddling!

That's me in the middle!

Surfing in Bali, no big deal :)

Beautiful sunset

Me and Annie (left)

I love this shot. Surfers and sunset!

The sun set SO QUICKLY! It was a big, bright red sun.

Rainbow clouds

So, so gorgeous

Where the horizon ends :)

Then we went for McDonald's with our Australian friends!
(Annie!)

One of the things I love most about Bali is how spiritual
it feels...always. Every day, you see people building these
palm leaf "kratongs," placing flowers and crackers in them
as offerings. These offerings are found next to homes, rice
paddies...anything where someone is praying for good luck.
They are beautiful.

Close up of a palm leaf offering :)
Beautiful right?

Downtown Kuta

Magic Mushroom shakes offered everywhere

Me and my 8 FRIENDS!!!

Statues like this- not quite Buddhas (so I know it's not Thailand!)
are found throughout the island...adding to it's "magic" and charm.
(The rumors are true...Bali truly is such a magical place. You can feel it!)


Me! Bali sign :)

Memorial site for the victims of the 2002 bombings.
In many ways, it reminded me of 9/11 memorials for Americans

This really moved me: the offerings from local
Hindu Balinese people (who also were very saddened,
and affected by the bombings of Islamic extremists)

A card from the Ness Family from Scotland:
"On the 11th November 2012 at 11am we have come
to remember you. Also all the men and women who have
died fighting for their country when at war"
(Gave me chills)

Retail therapy! Annie is a bad influence...I bought a 
gorgeous pair of sandals, as well as an adorable 
open-back cotton summer dress!

It's been so long!

No comments:

Post a Comment