I have had a really good life here. A simple, good life. I will miss Ubon more than I can say.
Hanoi, Vietnam in the morning!
My Street: Sukkhauppatam!
I can see my 7/11 (which used to be where SaveLand now is)
and the street vendors who sell corn under the umbrella!
Boonmee Mansion :)
The walk I make up to my apartment everyday.
My hall :)

Ahpoe adorably chilling in her bouncy in the hall
My door, my room: 204

Inside

So peaceful and spacious, too!

View from my bed

View inside from my balcony :)
(The orange post it notes have been there for months now-
I labeled everything in Thai hehe!)

My mini fridge, Thai alphabet poster, etc.

My shoe rack, of course!
The women I buy sticky rice and pork ("cow niow mu bing!") from
many mornings for breakfast. She is also cooking rice-egg patties called
"cow gi." If I skip a day or two, she gives me a hard time haha.
The best sweet grilled pork I have ever tasted.
The fork in the road where my street (Sukhauppatam) slightly
bends to the left. My songtaew keeps straight on Changsanit Rd.
Every day when I come home from school via songtaew,
the green-leaf gas station in the far distance (right) is
my landmark to buzz the driver to get off.
The gas station I get off at. Then it's a short, sunny walk to Boonmee :)
The little adorable Thai bar conveniently across the
street from where I live. I've only been there a few times,
but most memorably with Mark, Gracie & Val, and Brendan.

With Brendan, inside the bar.
The band in the back played "Country Roads" for me!

Our new Thai friends.
They wanted me to sit on their lap for the picture ha, and
they gave Brendan a napkin origami flower to give to me haha.

He can't play pool. But he looks like he can!

I spy an orange cat...I named him Garfield!

These guys were so friendly and loved chatting with us.
They are 23 just like me.
I absolutely love the coloring of this shot.
I live right down the street from the new
"hi-so" Pen-Ta-Hug apartments/ hotel.
Sukhauppatham Rd.
One of my favorite sights: My Pad Thai man's cart set up!
He makes the BEST Pad Thai, and my favorite dish
that I've had in all of Thailand called "Hoi Tawt." It's mussels and
fried egg served over a bed of sprouts with a sweet/ spicy red sauce.
There is almost always a line, and he is one of the later street
vendors to set up (usually around 6pm at the earliest).
He stands on a step stool when he cooks!
(He was clearly uncomfortable with me taking these pics,
so I didn't get a good one of his face...I want to remember!)
And the apron is on!

I love watching him cook.

View from the walk back from Mahh Lahng's house
Ahpoe adorably chilling in her bouncy in the hall
My door, my room: 204
Inside
So peaceful and spacious, too!
View from my bed
View inside from my balcony :)
(The orange post it notes have been there for months now-
I labeled everything in Thai hehe!)
My mini fridge, Thai alphabet poster, etc.
My shoe rack, of course!
Nomurri helping me pack up my room haha (also so sad)
My bathroom
(Not going to miss this)
Dirty sink, and my blue towels!
My balcony
The bird nest next to my air conditioner :)
(I have had to clean up 5 dead baby birds out of who
knows how many over the past 3 months...ew!)
My clothes hanger
The women I buy sticky rice and pork ("cow niow mu bing!") from
many mornings for breakfast. She is also cooking rice-egg patties called
"cow gi." If I skip a day or two, she gives me a hard time haha.
The best sweet grilled pork I have ever tasted.
The fork in the road where my street (Sukhauppatam) slightly
bends to the left. My songtaew keeps straight on Changsanit Rd.
Every day when I come home from school via songtaew,
the green-leaf gas station in the far distance (right) is
my landmark to buzz the driver to get off.
The gas station I get off at. Then it's a short, sunny walk to Boonmee :)
The soi next to Boonmee Mansion!
The little adorable Thai bar conveniently across the
street from where I live. I've only been there a few times,
but most memorably with Mark, Gracie & Val, and Brendan.
With Brendan, inside the bar.
The band in the back played "Country Roads" for me!
Our new Thai friends.
They wanted me to sit on their lap for the picture ha, and
they gave Brendan a napkin origami flower to give to me haha.
He can't play pool. But he looks like he can!
I spy an orange cat...I named him Garfield!
These guys were so friendly and loved chatting with us.
They are 23 just like me.
I absolutely love the coloring of this shot.
I live right down the street from the new
"hi-so" Pen-Ta-Hug apartments/ hotel.
Sukhauppatham Rd.
One of my favorite sights: My Pad Thai man's cart set up!
He makes the BEST Pad Thai, and my favorite dish
that I've had in all of Thailand called "Hoi Tawt." It's mussels and
fried egg served over a bed of sprouts with a sweet/ spicy red sauce.
There is almost always a line, and he is one of the later street
vendors to set up (usually around 6pm at the earliest).
He stands on a step stool when he cooks!
(He was clearly uncomfortable with me taking these pics,
so I didn't get a good one of his face...I want to remember!)
And the apron is on!
Round 2 of pictures (I had my friend Brendan there
too so I didn't feel so awkward!)
I love watching him cook.
View from the walk back from Mahh Lahng's house
My absolute favorite meal I've had throughout my
year in Thailand (and only discovered earlier this month!)
"Hoi Tawt" (fried mussels and egg crepe served over a
bed of sprouts and eaten with a spicy chili sauce!)
Som Tam man! He and his wife just had a baby :)!
So adorable!
This cat LOVED me. Was in heaven.
The paws kept kneading in the air hehe
My friend Brendan and me (We had chicken, som tam, and hoi tawt!)
Me with the som tam (who makes it perfectly for me!) cook
After heading to Mahh Lahng's house and a spooky walk
at a wat at night, we headed back to my favorite corner bar.
Garfield!
The sweet yellow corn girls!
Jean (pronounced "Jean") and Deng Moo (meaning "watermelon")
Me and Deng Moo
We're so Asian!
I cut my hair short in a moment of rage earlier this
month haha. Now I can wear cute Thai headbands!
The cutest little vespa motorcycle outside of Boonmee.
When it rains, my soi floods.
I think that I could make a lot of money inventing an umbrella
that attached to a motorcycle. Why hasn't this been invented yet?
Riding on water, wearing ponchos. This is when it would stink
to need to go somewhere on a motorbike. Hellooo rainy season!
Mahh Soh, the maid who works at Boonmee,
wades across the street.
The very weird creepy old farang men that drink beer in front
of my apartment. (With the exception of Henry- who've I've
been calling Harry all year. He's cool!)
The view from Saveland (formerly my 7/11)
YES! I love this man and his family and little boys.
He makes crepe-like desserts with egg, banana, or corn.
It's called "rotdee"...DE-LICIOUS!
I waited so long to get this pic!!
A beautiful sight :)
"Ban Mahh Lahng!" (Mahh Lahng's house)
P'Lew's restaurant attached to Mahh Lahng's house.
Only built this semester, but it now feels like it's all I've known.
(Nong is walking and Go-go is petting his dog)
Inside P'Lew's restaurant!
Kitten Steven takes a nap
Nomurri and Steven!
Foot's really old (look at that missing bike seat), really large bicycle.
I will always remember him cruising on this bicycle around town.
The new apartment building that Mahh Lahng is building.
The next time I visit Ubon, it will surely look very different!
Nomurri and me :)
Mahh Lahng and Nomurri sifting through jewelry to lend
me so that they can dress me up Thai-style for school!
Mahh Lahng, Nomurri, and their new kitten...Steven!
Nomurri INSISTED on having me try on her play crown,
and then Mahh Lahng insisted we take pictures. I did not oppose :)
Nong and Princess Emily!
Oooh, I like the way that sounds!
At school the next morning :)
With my water buffalo buds
Beautiful lotus flower pond
Green rice!
The houses nearby my school.
Bow and me!!!
Bow taught me how to speak Thai
I like the belt that Mahh Lahng lent me hehe.
The drive up to my school
Thailand...yeah!
I know a place where the grass is really greener!
(Okay, not grass, but rice!)
Green (adorable), her friend, Mahh Lahng,
Baby Ahpoe, and Nomurri at Green's birthday party.
P'Jang helping with the cake. Girls' party...so cute!
Blowing out the candles! (I find Thai versions of Western
birthdays hilarious because it's not exactly "right"- happy birthday
is sung multiple times- and it's not quite the same song, there is no
making a wish, and there were 2 cakes at this party ha. Still very cute)
SO CUTE!
Little Girl's dream cake!
Hongyok, Green, Nomurri
Mahh Bin, Hongyok, Yee, me!
Mahh Bin, Hongyok playing with chopsticks, Yee, Me!
The pineapple truck on the way home from Trung Sri Muang
Na Daeng's hair salon has 8 cats. One of them is named "Stupid."
Three of them are asleep in that bottom shelf hahaha.
Right outside the post office is a stall where you can get
your eyes checked and buy eyeglasses!
(Dad, this is for you!)
P'Nuan getting her eyes checked
The stand
Smile!
The eye doctor making the lenses.
One pair of new glasses, including the lenses/ frame = 500 baht
(about $15). P'Nuan thought that this was very overpriced!!!
Then P'Nuan, P'Wendy and I went out for ice cream!
Whipped cream served on a dish!
Me, Ahpoe, and Nong!
Trung Sri Muang :)
Soccer at the park
The wat at Trung Sri Muang
Andrea and my fruit shake lady!
Every time: Lamud and banana...sap sap!
Piping hot sticky rice!
The vendors who sell grilled potatoes and bananas!
Andrea buying some grilled bananas! (Different day,
different colored shirt!) So delicious.
Jasmine wreaths :)
The market is always bustling
A planted pomegranate tree on the sidewalk :)
This is blurry, but that truck has people riding on the top of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment