Monday, October 1, 2012

Farewell Ceremony

This whole month has been a whirlwind, but nothing compares to how FAST time has been flying this past week. I feel like I haven't had a moment to catch my breath, and I've taken more pictures than I have time to post! Due to the lack of time, I'm skipping ahead a bit to a goodbye ceremony that was held on Thursday for me (well, me plus all of the college student teachers/ teachers who are retiring!) called "Ngan Pi-tee-ahm-la"in Thai. For the ceremony, I thought it would be fun to dress up in traditional Thai dress, complete with flowers in my hair :) The day was one of the most amazing, meaningful days I have ever experienced in my life.

On Wednesday night I borrowed my Thai friend P'Lew's former wedding attire. I also wore a brand new pendant of the king that I had purchased the previous night (so cool). When P'Nuan picked me up she told me that I needed to wear closed toed shoes (which were at her house already packed up), and that the pendant of the king needed to be on a nicer chain. We went to her sister-in-law's house and they helped glam me up even more. At school, as soon as I stepped out of the car all of the students were really excited. I was told that I looked as beautiful as Miss Thailand Universe throughout the day :)

The ceremony started at about 9am. The whole school gathered in the canteen/ assembly, and all of the leaving/ new teachers were rushed on stage. There was a special "holy" man conducting the prayers at the ceremony (I'm told he's not a monk but just a step below). The ceremony started with a long spool of white string being passed to all of the people on stage (everyone was sitting in a close circle). The string "connected" everyone. The ceremonialist was crowded around a "pan" (beautiful flower arrangement) and had some jars with candles, and a book of prayers on a tray in front of him. The ceremony started by everyone reaching inwards to touch the flower arrangment (if you couldn't touch it you touched someone in front of you who touched it...sort of like a "chain." I loved that). Then everyone on stage closed their eyes and wai-ed their hands together while he chanted. I just remember thinking that the sound of his voice chanting in Thai was the most beautiful sound in the world. I opened my eyes to peek and tons of villagers had joined us on stage. It was completely overwhelming. From there, everyone on stage was handed a few white string bracelets with one knot in the center. We started turning to our neighbors and wishing each other happiness, health, strength, and good luck (in Thai, of course) while the wish-er tied the white string around your wrist. While this was happening, everyone nearby would extend their arms and touch the person who's arm had a string being tied on it. It was so powerful- as if everyone who was touching your arm was trying to "send" their powerful vibes and well-wishes your way, too. Then you would switch and do it onto the person who just tied a string on you. One of the most amazing "feelings" from the string tying ceremony, in my opinion, involved the "technique" of tying the string that went along with the words. Usually, the person tying the string would slide it up and down and under your writs. After the knot was tied, they would "rub" it to sort of secure it. Beautiful. It's so beautiful to have a farewell/ welcoming ceremony like this. I can't think of anything quite comparable to it in the United States. I held it together, but started tearing up when one of the Prathom teachers looked me in the eyes and wished me "choke dee" (good luck). I think that it hit me then that I am leaving, and she so sincerely, genuinely meant it. That, in combination with the physical gesture of tying the string bracelet on, was a lot to handle. One of the teachers took a video from the day and posted it on youtube. I start around minute 2:13  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06YOt523Irs&feature=relmfu

After the string tying ceremony, everyone who was leaving or being welcomed received a gift. Then we watched videos about everyone who was leaving or coming. P'Nuan and P'Peter made a beautiful, touching video of me. I sat next to Mr. Ken as I watched. They posted my video on youtube...check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSgtgXaQfdE

Then students and teachers performed all different kinds of dances, comedy, and singing. It was so happy and fun. We had lunch with the village parents, and I passed out banana bread cupcakes that I'd purchased the night before at Makro. I gave my goodbye speech to the whole school in Thai, and I will always remember parents clapping for me when I said that I would come back in 2 years. That meant so much to me, because I don't really know the parents. All I know is that they must have heard good things from their students, and that means a ton to me.

It is now my very last night in Ubon Ratchathani. I am feeling very blessed, and very sad (it does feel like a loss that I am leaving) but I am also feeling immensely grateful, lucky and happy (It's quite an emotional combination!) I have never, ever been this sad to leave anywhere. I am all moved out of Boonmee Mansion (my apartment) and I am spending the night at P'Nuan's house. It doesn't even feel like home to me anymore. Today I said my final goodbyes at school, and made sure that my room was all organized, welcoming, and pretty for next year's new Fulbright. I have had the time of my life this year, in ways that I couldn't predict. I never knew how much I would grow to love my students and Thailand as a country. I will never be fully able to explain just exactly how strong I love this place, or how magically indescribable this year has been. Bangkok in the morning.

Goodnight Ubon Ratchathani, Thailand.


Before the start of school, with the student teachers who 
are leaving, too, and our school director, Mr. Ken.

Picture time!

The man in white was the holy man who led the ceremony.

Our school.

A beautiful flower arrangement and candles in LEO bottles :)

Lighting a candle. Also, do you see the book of prayers on the dish?

Connected in a circle by the white string :)

Beautiful.

We're all in this together. 
Can you say "collective"? :)

Handed our white string to tie on each other's wrists

My favorite part: Getting blessed by being 
splashed with holy water. This time from leaves! (Not twigs)

Look at all of the arms touching me, sending me their well wishes too :)
This photo brings tears to my eyes even as I write this.

A villager, who I don't know, ties on a white string :)

Karate, P'Nuan, Mahh Sarah

Greeting some local mothers and grandmothers who
called me over to them :)

I was beyond honored, delighted. No words.

Wai-ing in thanks. Look at the look on the women's faces :)

I love this one too. I have been so welcomed in Ubon. 
I will never be the same.

Haha

I felt the power, and still feel the power :)!

After the ceremony, little boys (4th grade) performed 
an awesome Muay Thai "dance"

Some of my FAVORITE students. Siam (yellow shirt)
always says "hello" to me, and is one of my brightest students.

Comedians (Left: Ladyboys!)

Ying and Joy (two of my groupies)

Mr. Ken handing me a gift (a box filled with clothes that I'd 
picked out a few days earlier with P'Nuan and P'Windy...sneaky sneaky!)

Teachers! It was just a joyous day :)

Little girls :)

2nd and 3rd grade. They are so beautiful!!!

I love this student. She's not in my class, but always a bashful smile

I absolutely adore this shot . Two of my favorite 2nd graders:
Krim (left) and Am (right). They had hilarious long fake clip-on hair.

My goodbye speech...in Thai!

Telling the school and village parents that it's been the best
year of my life, that I will miss everyone, and that I will come 
back in 2 years. The parents clapped at this. It was heartwarming :)

I ended my speech by blowing all of the students a kiss!
Jup-jup!

2nd and 3rd grade performing an ADORABLE Thai/ Isaan dance

Mini-Muay Thai boxers! The auditorium screamed when
they all ripped their shirts off. I just love the strong CULTURE in Isaan!

One of my absolute favorite pictures form the whole year. 
Villager parents/ grandparents had come to school today to 
send me off too. Beyond touching.

The parting college student-teachers performing a wild dance!

And a traditional boy-girl Thai dance :)

SInging...

My strings! (And my lucky turtle ring :))

Saying goodbyes

The teachers danced too! They had so much fun with it.

These lady boys were absolutely HYSTERICAL.
Especially the one on the left with the huge painted-on fake
mole. I have lived in Thailand for over a year now, and I 
still don't think I'll ever fully understand lady boys!

These boys in the audience found a string and were
playing "Cats Corner" with it!!!

Student band, and a shiny new green bicycle for a retiring teacher :)

Chai, one of my second graders, found me to give me this 
beautiful angry bird card :) 

The night before, P'Nuan took me to buy all of the teachers
and parents banana bread cupcake treats. I passed them out one by 
one with the help of my favorite M. 1/2 groupies :)

Action shot! (After the ceremony there was lunch :))

My wonderful white strings :)

This picture, and memory, warms my heart. I literally had
an entourage of students who followed me around for the 
entirety of the day. I can connect with them, because I speak Thai.
Best thing I ever did this year.

Som and I :) M. 3/1

This was the first time I really started crying:
This group of girls came to see me after the ceremony. They
asked me in Thai "gowd mai ka?" I didn't know this word, so I 
asked them and they motioned a hug. I told them "of course!!!" 
and we all embraced in a big beautiful hug. When I looked down,
at least 3 of the girls were crying (especially the girl on the right)
and then I just lost it. 

Boss and me. We are facebook friends :) I will miss him.
He pops his head into my room to say "How are you?"
every single morning without skipping a day.

I love love these two. The little boy on the left isn't even 
my student, but he's befriended me throughout the year
and comes to see me often to ask me questions.

I was busy cutting pictures of myself for these boys when
I looked up and this HUGE scary beetle was there hahaha.

It's called "Duang" in Thai.

M. 3/2 I will miss every single one of them.
The girl on the right is so silly! Such spirit :)

These handsome student teachers wanted a pic
outside of my classroom :)

M.3/1 So bright, so kind, so loving.

Two of my favorite girls from M.2/1

An An (right) and her close friend

M. 1/2 
I now have a yellow flowers in my hair from some
young boy students. I got so many flowers this week :)

Me with Jah. She has a learning disability, everyone knows it and treats 
her differenty. She also doesn't really speak. I really relate to her, though. 
Sometimes I've felt like she's been my shadow this year :)

That beautiful face. I have rarely seen a smile peep out from it.

M.1/2

My favorite boys in M.2/1 
Man (left) and his tiny, adorable best friend Owen (right)

These boys talk to me every morning during assembly :)
(Notice, my classroom doesn't even feel like my own anymore 
this week...all of the desks are already moved and piled up)

Love these two girls.

Ying wrote on the board "Ying loves Kruu Emily"

Joy and I :)

Nong! M.1/2

Hehe (students lik playing with my camera too :))

I like this one.

This one too!

Umim!!! I will miss her sass/ joking with me
(I use a stamp reward system in my class, and she always says
that I am "kii niow" (cheap) with my stamps and I always tell
her that she is "lop" (greedy!) with asking for so many stamps ;))

Boys riding in a pick up truck at school, sitting on top
of plastic stacked chairs. Never in America.

Love these Prathom students

Sigh and Boss: two of my most loyal groupies :)!


"Dern len!" (Walking for fun) around the school for 3 hours
with a possy of students after the ceremony.

Gosh, I will miss them.

This boy (left) loved to play with a wooden game that
was sent from home. He is very kind and gentle. 

The boys are still playing with their bug! I will always remember
the boy on the right as the animal lover. He found a gecko last week,
and any time another student would try and knock it down he would 
get really angry at them. My kind of guy!

I will always remember him this way :)

The rest of 3rd grade joins in. the look on the boy in the
background's face is priceless. When I look at many of these pictures,
it makes me happy (obviously) but sad when I think about how much
I love these students and I might never see many of them ever again. Or 
the mere fact that when I do come back, they will be older, and I know it
just won't be the same (perfection) that it is now.

Boys climbing the tree in the background :)

Notice that Sigh and Boss are in every picture with me.
They also come to my room and watch me as I do nothing interesting
on my computer. They fight to stand next to me. I've never felt this
loved by children. Ever.

I will miss her smiling face every day.

Not my students, but very sweet to me :)

Sigh and I haha

My 4th grade groupie! He loved being the one who took 
the pictures...and he was good at it!

I still remember when the sweet girl on the far right with 
glasses first moved to school at the beginning of this term.
She is the only student at our school that I've seen with glasses,
and when I smile at her she still can't keep it together wtihout
grinning from ear to ear.

This girl is sassy!

2nd and 3rd grade :)

4th grade (I don't teach these guys!)

And our photoshoot with school "dukadah" begins...

Mushroom dukadah! The boy at right who loves taking 
pictures gave the girl who took this a hard time- calling
her out on cutting people out haha

There we go!

Bashful dukadah!

Pointing at a dukadah :)!

No comments:

Post a Comment