Then we arrived in Halong City, and boarded our boat to Halong Bay. It was me, Luca, an English girl named Minty, an American named Justin, two Danish girls named Caecilie and Sabrina, and a Danish family of 5 on our boat. It was small, but a very good time. We had delicious seafood meals while cruising Halong Bay, and I will always remember how gorgeous it was! This is the life :) The bay reminded me a little bit of Koh Phi Phi in Thailand. What an absolute treasure.
After lunch, we explored a massive cave. I had never been in a caved this large, and I was absolutely shocked! We learned that caves like this were used during the Vietnam War as hospitals (clever!) After exploring the cave (and probably my favorite part of the whole Halong Bay trip) was kayaking! Minty and I paired off, zipped up our lifejackets, and were off! The kayaking was beautiful even though the water was polluted and dirty at some parts. We found a narrow cave that we could kayak through, and it led to this absoltuely gorgeous, pristine lagoon surrounded by lush green limestone cliffs. Minty and I even saw an eagle! Kayaking was FAB-U-LOUS. We then headed back for another delicious (fancy!) meal. I especially enjoyed the fruit and vegetable carvings: my favorite was a swan carved from a tomato! We then hiked to the top of an island lookout, and some people went swimming (I, on the other hand, forgot to pack a bathing suit to Vietnam...not smart for someone traveling the coast of the beautiful beaches haha). Then we just lounged on the deck until late at night. That night, I slept excellently in my cabin :)
The following morning (Day 2) was just a lazy day lounging on the boat in the bay. Then we headed back to Hanoi, and I packed up my things for an overnight bus that would start bringing me south towards Hoi An. When the van picked me up, I realized maybe 3 minutes later that I'd forgotten my sneakers in a storage room. The streets of Hanoi were crazy and the van driver needed to pick up other people. One of the receptionists drove me on her personal motorbike to get my shoes. It was one of the kindest acts. (And they are the only sneakers I have here for my 3 months of travel so they are actually pretty important!) I got the shoes, and made it to the bus on time. When I tried to give her money for a tip she was already gone. I will never forget how kind she was without expecting anything in return, and hopefully I can repay the favor someday to someone else.
Enjoy the beautiful pictures of Halong Bay. The sunset was one of the most gorgeous sunsets I have ever seen.
On the drive to Halong Bay our van stopped at
what appeared to be a sweatshop of sorts
Embroiderers were incredibly skilled
Silk in every color of the rainbow
It turns out that everyone here was disabled, and this
job provided them with work.
In Halong City, on the pier to the boat!
Inside the boat! My home for the next 2 days
My cabin!
Not bad, ehh?
Me sitting on my cabin bed :)
Not a bad view to wake up to in the morning :)
Meal time with my new buds- many of whom
were traveling alone as well :)
Beautiful food presentation
Chilling on deck...so (unexpected!) to see the Vietnamese flag!
Me and Luca
Me!
Caecilie :)
Feeling no pain. I'm on a boat!
Our ship
Me and Caecilie
Me again (sorry for so many selfies)
I tried to take a picture of me and the background...
but I only got me!
Someone offered to help me out :)
Beautiful Halong Bay
Luca!
Look where I am!
We climbed to that tower on the top of that island!
(Minty has some kayak pictures from her camera...
mine is not waterproof so I don't have any!)
The beautiful silhouettes of the islands
Gorgeous sailing
My Titanic moment
I'm Queen of the world!!!
This is a nice one
Me taking a picture of Justin and Luca taking pictures
What a beautiful limestone formation
View from onshore through some shrubbery
Sabrina, Caecilie, Me
Could be a postcard
The cave!!!
Drippety drip drip in the yellow light
If you look closely, you can see how small the people are
(and how huge the cave is)
Pretty soon everything in the cave started looking like a peen
Can't get enough of these views!!!
Sabrina and I ordered a passion fruit drink in
a can that turned out to be a really sweet juice hehe
Sunset begins...
Me with the sunset
Sunset at Halong Bay
Like a dream
The beach and swimming area
At the top of the lookout
Hidden view :)
Luca, Me, Justin, and Minty at the top of the lookout
This is a nice photo
My favorite picture that I took at Halong Bay, Vietnam
On the drive back our van stopped at a second
gift shop. These cats were spooning each other.
How cute are they?! I miss you, Cuppy!
No comments:
Post a Comment