A little bit about Theravada Buddhist Monks before you browse (*all of this information is information I have picked up throughout the year from speaking with Thais throughout the country and even (drumroll) monks! With that being said, there may be situations where the below "rules" can be compromised. Please keep in mind that I am not an expert!)
- Monks are to remain celibate and are not supposed to even touch a woman in passing by, etc. In my experience, when a monk has ridden on a bus, train, or even an airplane I've been on (always an interesting sight seeing monks with their boarding passes at the airport), women move out of their way, and the monk usually sits in the most distant area.
- Monks are not supposed to smoke or drink alcohol (On several occasions I have seen monks smoking cigarettes before).
- Monks are not supposed to handle money of any form. However, I have seen monks handle money on several occasions. (Don't ask me how they purchase those boarding passes...maybe someone else does the money transaction? Or maybe they fly free on some airlines?)
- Monks only eat 1 to 2 times per day (breakfast and lunch). Many monks only eat breakfast. Due to the fact that they are not to handle money, they roam the streets in the wee hours of the morning accepting food handouts from regular people. If you are Buddhist, it is considered "making merit" or tombun to feed the monks in the morning. As a woman, when I have woken up early (on only a few occasions!) to feed the monks, the monks have extended a blanket on the ground, which I then place the food on, and they then pick up. (Monks are not supposed to touch women- even exchanging items from hand to hand is risky).
- Monks are not to use cell phones or other electronic devices. (Again, I have seen more than several monks chatting on cell phones...it's definitely an interesting juxtaposition that makes you look twice!)
- Traditionally, monks are not supposed to wear shoes because they are supposed to be as "one" and close to the Earth as possible. However, most monks that I've observed where light flip flops. (If you've ever been to Bangkok, you understand that this is reasonable!)
- I have not yet heard any answers on why monks' robes are colored orange, or if the different shades of orange are significant. (Yes, I would like to know if there is meaning behind this!)
Fascinatingly (to me), while monks are not supposed to have anything to do with money, they are a common fixture on marketing billboards and advertisements. Monks symbolize goodness, truthfulness and honesty, and I think therefore appeal to many Buddhist Thais. If a monk is on a billboard "endorsing" a certain product, it must be good, right? There are some smart marketers out there, eh? :)
Monks get hot from the sun, too.
Surin, Thailand
Who doesn't enjoy snapping pics with elephants?
Taking a walk
Resting under a shady tree.
Monks' home
A monk buying a lottery ticket.
(Traditionally, monks are not supposed to handle money of any sort)
Monks looking at flowers in a Chiang Mai market.
Monks getting in line to ride the ferris wheel at
the "Royal Flora" exhibit in Chiang Mai.
Monks exploring Angkor Wat in Siem Reap, Cambodia.
(I know that this is not Thailand, but this shot is too beautiful to not include)
Monks exploring Angkor Wat yelling "Hello!" to my sister and me.
Monks taking photos with their families near the famous
overgrown doorway at Wat Prohm, Siem Reap, Cambodia.
(Emily being creepy and taking a photo of the monks taking a photo)
Monks checking out herbs, pine cones, dried tukays, and
other mystical artifacts for sale at the Indochine Market.
Mukdahan, Thailand
Young novice monks swimming in the pools of
Sam Pan Bok National Park, Ubon Ratchathani, Thailand.
Many of the novices couldn't swim and wore lifejackets. The neon color
of the orange life jackets blended in with their robes, creating a beautiful image.
A monk riding on the back of a motorcycle.
I've lived in Thailand over 11 months now, and this sight still makes me smile.
Monks riding in a tuk tuk
Monks strolling the streets for their hand-out breakfasts
around 6am in Mahasarakam, Thailand.
So bummed that this came out blurry-
a monk was exiting a wat with beautiful white lotus flowers.
Walking up the stairs of a wat.
Ubon Ratchathani, Thailand
A young monk sweeping a wat- a form of
making merit, at a wat in Ubon Ratchathani, Thailand.
Young novice monks strolling Bangkok's famed Chatuchak market.
(Notice they are not wearing shoes)
A "Please Give Your Seat To Monks" sign on Bangkok's BTS.
You forgot the most important rule for monks: Don't pee standing up.
ReplyDelete