Leaving the park, we stopped by some little wooden and straw stands (that reminded me of Cambodia) where locals were selling all kinds of interesting things: roots, barks, herbs, wild mushrooms, and these beautiful green iridescent beetles. The beetles were crawling all over each other in a plastic bag- ready to be cooked! The color of their shells was so stunning. A few stands were selling these dangling decorations that were made from the wings; they felt so unbelievably soft! I wish I had bought one! (Although I didn't because I thought that the beetles were probably killed inhumanely- someone pulling their beautiful green wings off while they were still alive). I also loved looking at all of the different mushrooms that people had gathered. I think that mushrooms are really cool, and it's such a rare skill to be able to differentiate the edible ones from the poisonous ones. However, some of the brightly colored ones looked poisonous! Check out the pics below.
Tomorrow morning my friend Nicki is visiting me in Ubon! I am so excited for her to come to school with me, and to show her my life here in Isaan. However, I am sad that tomorrow is my first Friday this semester not teaching teachers. That really was a highlight of this semester for me :)
The rainy season rain clouds didn't look promising,
but sure looked pretty over the MeKong River
P'Nuan and I at the entrance to the waterfall
Playing in lots of "little" waterfalls on the way to see
Soi Sawan. I love Gan (right) posing for another picture here!
Me
It was already drizzling at this point, but when you're
playing in a waterfall, who cares! Jealous of these people.
Singing in the rain
P'Nuan and me
Pretending it was freezing
The beautiful mist setting in
Soi Sawan Waterfall!
Kwan (left) and Gan
Boss (my favorite ladyboy student) and Kwan
Cool shot, right?
This picture does not capture how beautiful and
widespread the clouds were setting in
Our group from left: Boss, Gan, Me, Kwan, P'Nuan
Me in front of the waterfall sign
Left: Bags of wild mushrooms. Right: I don't know.
Left: Some kind of root. Right: LIVE iridescent green bugs
(...for eating of course!)
My favorite. Wild mushrooms in many colors of the rainbow!
P'Nuan loves buying wild mushrooms to cook with
No comments:
Post a Comment