"Beach Essentials in China: Flip Flops, a Towel, and a Ski Mask"
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/04/world/asia/in-china-sun-protection-can-include-a-mask.html?_r=2&hp
This New York Times article discusses the popular Chinese fear of getting "peasant-like" dark skin from the sun. So much so, that many Chinese women hit the beach wearing ski masks for sun protection! I smiled while reading this article, because this same fear of dark skin, or rather, obsession with white skin, is prevalent throughout Thailand. It can be over 100 degrees outside, and you will see people in sweatshirts and hoods on their motorbikes. Fake sleeves are worn, too, and you can't purchase lotion without it containing whitening cream. Fascinatingly, the opposite is true in Western culture: We want to be tan! Tan signifies wealth and leisure in America, as opposed to laboring in the rice fields in Asia.
"You Do Not Want to Be a Single Lady Over 28 in China"
http://www.businessinsider.com/you-do-not-want-to-be-a-single-woman-over-28-in-china-2012-7
This article explores changing perceptions of gender roles (mainly involving women) in China. There are many more men than women in China, and, traditionally, each gender plays specific roles within the home and society. It smells like China is on the brink of experiencing a Women's Revolution...
"A Telling Language Lesson in Hong Kong"
http://rendezvous.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/01/a-shocking-language-lesson-in-hong-kong/
Hong Kong's new leader, as of last month, gave his inaugural address in (drumroll): Mandarin. While this might not seem like a big deal, it is actually quite a big deal. Hong Kong and mainland China, especially as of recent, have had increased tensions. Hong Kong is part of China, but has its own leaders, currency, and language (Cantonese). They follow a "One Country Two Systems" policy. When I was in Hong Kong in April, I found it fascinating to hear, pretty much across the board, Hong Kongers (this is actually how they refer to themselves) say that they "were Chinese but would never say they were from 'China.'" Thailand has many different dialects spoken throughout different regions in the country, but everyone knows and speaks Central Thai, or as I like to say, Central Siamese (the language spoken in Bangkok). I find it so interesting to think about how different languages can signify different alliances and beliefs. What if a United States President gave his inaugural address in Spanish one day? What would that represent? Would people protest? Why? So fascinating.
"Are Your Kids Smart Enough for China's Toughest Test?"
http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2012/06/26/are-your-kids-smart-enough-for-chinas-toughest-test/
This article, published about a month ago in the Wall Street Journal, is absolutely mesmerizing. The article discusses China's National Higher Education Entrance Examination, and it is beyond "intense." I couldn't believe how much rides on this one test and the extremes that students go to in preparation for it (and how few other options there are available for young Chinese!) This article made me think a lot about the "American Dream." On the contrary, Thailand's ONET test (college entrance exam) is a joke. I am sometimes asked to grade students' practice ONET exams, and the test is riddled with grammatical errors and questions that do not have correct answers. It is clear that ONET is not proofread by any native English speakers. I thought that the ACT was stressful, but I am so grateful for it after reading this article. Oh MAN!
No comments:
Post a Comment