Also, today marks 9 months living in Thailand for me. Wow! I can't believe I only have 3 months left. I really wish this was a two year grant! I finally feel like I am "living" instead of "surviving" :)
This Wall Street Journal article is called "IKEA's Products Make Shoppers Blush in Thailand." It is absolutely fascinating- about how the unique Swedish names of IKEA's products often have racy translations in Thai, and what IKEA is doing about it. (Who would have though!)
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304707604577422073271517262.html?mod=SEA_LeadStory
This New York Times article is called "Thai Youth Seek a Fortune Away From the Farm."This article is really informative and SO relevant to life as I know it here, seeing as my students are all farmer's children. It discusses how a growing number of Thai youth would rather pursue their educations, move to big cities, and have office jobs, rather than continue their (often) generations-old farming lifestyle. Especially fascinating: The discussion on how the view (status) of farmers differs from country to country, and the racial implications associated with farming in Thailand.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/05/world/asia/thai-youth-seek-a-fortune-off-the-farm.html?_r=2
This "Victim's Stories" from human trafficking article was recently posted to the US State Department website, as the 2012 Human Trafficking report was recently released. I think that it's important that we're all aware that human trafficking, and modern day slavery, are still very much real...even in the United States. If you scroll down, there is a story related to Burma - Thailand. As many of you might know, many Burmese try and come to Thailand for a better life. Sometimes, they are exploited. This story deals with the shrimp and fishing industry. I can't help but see images of the green-lit fishing boats you see out on the horizon in the Gulf of Thailand at dusk. Eerie.
http://www.state.gov/j/tip/rls/tiprpt/2012/192360.htm
Related to "Victim's Stories," this website was alluded to in the recent Human Trafficking report released by the US State Department. It is an AMAZING, interactive website. You can't afford to not check this out. Do you know where the tantalum in your smart phone comes from? Or the mica (little sparkles) in your makeup? They come from slaves. Find out more, and what you can do to help:
http://slaveryfootprint.org/
On a more positive note, pasted below is the YouTube link to Burma's Aung San Suu Kyi's Nobel Peace Prize acceptance speech, which she has finally been allowed to give, over 21 years after receiving the prize. An incredible woman, and a speech that will send chills down your spine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUPfkNXpZvQ&feature=g-logo-xit
Also on a positive note, this article is called "21 Pictures That Will Restore Your Faith in Humanity." You will read this article through tears, in the best way.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/expresident/pictures-that-will-restore-your-faith-in-humanity
This final article is just plain silly. It's called "How to be a Bangkok local: 10 tips on faking it." To anyone who's ever been to Bangkok, it is pretty fun. If you've never been, many of the author's "steps" are accurate. (E.g. if you take a picture of yourself "wai-ing" next to the wai-ing Ronald McDonald outside of McDonald's, everyone will know you're a tourist). Uhh, err, uhh, I've definitely never done this! Also, the Editor's Note at the beginning of the article is chuckle worthy :)
http://www.cnngo.com/bangkok/life/how-be-bangkok-local-10-tips-faking-it-880230?page=0,0
Happy Reading!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment