One sidenote: On the drive from Ubon proper to Sam Pan Bok, we saw a woman run into the middle of the road and a man was chasing her, grabbing her, and trying to beat her up (!!!) P'Nuan and the other girls screamed and we slowed down...but then kept driving!!! I told them that I think that we should go back and make sure that everything's okay. P'Nuan's response, "No! They are lovers!"
The day was simply magical, and it was so kind that P'Nuan treated the three of us- took an entire Saturday off, paid for gas, lunch, our boat, everything! Very generous. However, I'd woken up Saturday morning with the most PAINFUL sore throat ever, and I had a fever. I knew something was wrong. We stopped at the pharmacy on the way there. I have Tonsillitis! Luckily, I am on antibiotics now and feeling "3000" times better. I am so glad that I was able to see this beautiful, hidden part of the country. I saw some holes that I will never forget.
These pictures speak for themselves.
Me & Kwan
(Behind us: Laos)
Me, P'Nuan, and Kwan
This is a very famous sign that reads, "Welcome to Ubon Ratchathani."
Below are listed the three national parks. However, the road past this
sign might as well have been called 3000 holes. I have never driven on
worse pot holes for such a stretch of time. I felt like I was back in Cambodia.
Pretty as a postcard!
We pulled our car up...and it was just THERE.
Literally, where the road ends.
P'Nuan- ever glamorous, Kwan, and Karn.
P'Nuan, Kwan, and me
The best view in the house. I'd be a little bit worried
it might collapse though.
P'Nuan and me, waiting for lunch.
Rooster and Dog
These two were UNBELIEVABLE. They fought
over everything that fell on the ground. That rooster
is going to go far in life...MAN!
The dog's got an eye on you, Rooster!
But alas, they live in harmony.
P'Nuan and I in front of a Thai sign.
Sam Pan Bok!
Now for the good stuff...
Heading down to our long tailed boat
Me with some boats!
Our two children tour guides were so cute.
They'd clearly done this a million times.
Life jackets?!?! Is this Thailand?!
Karn and me
Our tour guides
Ever wonder where the Super Bowl shirts that accidentally
have the word "Supper" on them end up?
For some reason I LOVE this shot.
We approached a small island where novice monks were
swimming and relaxing. Their orange robes against the dull
background really was stunning.
Chocolate river. This really is as close to the
"Willy Wonka" chocolate river as you can get!
Cool view
Our first sighting: A rock shaped like a dog's head!
(It really does actually)
Our helpers pulling the boat in
P'Nuan being cute.
The first hole of many holes.
Close up of a hole. The pool of water that sits in them
is fresh and clean and you can stick your hands and feet in!
But there's just so many holes!
Hole with no water.
Me with some holes.
Kwan, P'Nuan, me (aka Giant) and Karn
(A few holes in the background)
Beautiful holes.
Our guide got a little bored and I snapped this
candid picture of him playing with a hole.
Me with the "Mickey Mouse" hole!
Novice monks swimming together in a giant hole!
I found it so interesting that they didn't know how to
swim, so they're all wearing life jackets. It's like they're
still in their robes! Trippy.
Me standing IN a hole!
When the girls showed up the novices left :(
Come on we're only staring looking!
P'Nuan always takes the small hole. Humphh.
I have this hole all to myself bitches.
Two holes, actually.
What should I put in my other hole?
P'Nuan and I make a heart in front of two heart-shaped holes.
How very Asian.
I like this hole because there is some grass growing in it.
LIFE!
Chocolate river!!!
The gang.
Do you see me? I look like an ant!
But how am I going to get down there so that I can
get my dream photo?
Dream photo.
Love this so much :)
"I'm on top of the word!"
Not your everyday view.
I mean, have you ever seen so many holes?
Me sitting on a peninsula.
Back to the boat...time for some chocolate rocks!
Goodbye holes!
Karn looks so glamorous boarding our boat!
Serenity.
Chocolate rocks!
Don't they really look like those crackly chocolate yogurt toppings?
Me and P'Nuan sitting on a chocolate rock throne.
However, the only throne I would accept if I were
really a queen would be made of gold and diamonds.
Barren. If this were the "Hunger Games," I don't
know where I would hide.
P'Nuan doing what she does best.
Being cute as a button.
No comments:
Post a Comment