Sunday, February 19, 2012

Valentine's Day Fun

Valentine’s Day fell on a Tuesday this year, which was perfect because I teach 2nd, 3rd, and 4th grade on Tuesdays. I think that Valentine's Day is an especially magical day for children. Believe it or not, Valentine’s Day is celebrated in Thailand, but not to the big-business extent that it is in the United States (at least not yet). I have always loved Valentine’s Day, and I have very happy memories of making hand-made Valentine’s with my Mom at home, and bringing them in for every student in my class when I was in elementary school. I forgot to bring doilies from home, but my friend who I bartended with in college, Colette, came to visit a few weeks ago and she saved the day by bringing me several packs of doilies. Then my Dad and Step Mom, Cynde, sent me construction paper, and I purchased scissors and glue. Our lesson on “Love and Valentine’s Day in America” could begin!

None of my students had ever made Valentine’s Day cards, and they had never seen a doily (which is surprising because I think that Thai people would eat them up!) My 3rd graders, the first class of the day, oohed and ahhed when I pulled out a stack of doilies, and ripped two of them apart. That was fun for me to see. Then I was able to teach every class how to fold their paper in half, draw an outline of half of a heart, cut the heart, and then open it up to have a symmetrical heart! Again, they oohed and ahhed. Students could choose who to give their valentine to: a boyfriend or girlfriend (in one class, every student excitedly raised their hands when I asked them if they had a bf/ gf already), or a dear friend, or Mom and Dad. On their Valentine, they had to write, “Happy Valentine’s Day!” or “I love you!” We listened to music about love while we worked, and we learned some easy Valentine’s Day vocab: “Heart,” “Cupid,” “Roses,” “Chocolate,” “Doves,” and “Love.”  It was just a really fun, special day. Even the boys got into their valentines! Here are a few pictures Kruu Emily took during class…I hope that you enjoy them!

Oh, and of course, I wore a bright red dress to class!


3rd Graders busy at work

These two boys turned their yellow heart outlines into masks!

Krim, with her beautiful valentine.

A Christmas-colored valentine (could my lesson on 
Christmas have paid off?!)

candid

Two. Studs.

2nd Grade chaos

Hard at work

All finished!

So creative, right?

Everyone loves a holiday celebrating Love!

He looks sad, but his face is just like that.

I LOVE this photo. 
Best friends.

Feeling spunky

Valentine

This girl was SO INTO this activity :)

All finished, just before the bell rang!

Happy Valentine's Day!

These girls stayed after class to show me their valentines.

This boy wrote, "I Love Teacher" on the back of his valentine...
Melt. My. Heart.

4th Grade

4th Grade boys check out at a friend's valentine.

Valentine's given to Kruu Emily.
How pretty is my door now?!

2 comments:

  1. Em this is absolutely precious! These kids clearly love you (though not as much as I dooooo). It's so cool how much of an impact you are able to have on their day-to-day lives. So so so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chrissy...I miss YOU!! ! I hope so :)

      Delete