Sunday, January 8, 2012

Phuket


I traveled to the province of Phuket (one of 3 direct flights from Ubon!) to visit my college girlfriend, Natalie, and her family over the New Year holiday. Natalie’s older sister, Jess, is a 4th grade school teacher at an International School there. Phuket is absolutely beautiful, as you might have seen in last season’s “The Bachelorette,” and it feels like a full-time-ritzy-resort-summer-town. While I had a blast, I also struggled a bit with how completely wealthy Thais who live in Phuket are, compared to Thais who live in Ubon Rathcathani. Phuket is the wealthiest province in Thailand, and Ubon is the poorest province. I felt guilty telling the teachers at my school where I was going for holiday, because none of the teachers I talked to had ever traveled to Phuket themselves.  In many ways, Phuket felt like being back in the West. There were crowds of white people (not necessarily Americans, but many Russians, Europeans, and Australians- wink wink!), and all of the Thais I met spoke very good English. Due to tourism being the main source of revenue, this is to be expected, but it was still strange for me. I didn’t see a single squat toilet while I was there, and I didn’t eat rice for a single meal (whoah!!!) A cab ride that would have cost about 50 baht in Ubon was 800 baht in Phuket. That is a real quote people. Phuket was so expensive, comparatively. I had a lot of fun speaking Thai with the Phuket natives, and having them look me, in shock, and then making small talk. Then I would ask them to lower the price J I guess Phuket doesn’t get a lot of white foreign travelers who live in Ubon Ratchathani and speak Thai!

The trip consisted of beach beach beach, so most of my photos are of exactly that (No complaints!) However, the night before New Year’s Eve, Natlalie, her older sister- Jess, and Jess’s friend- Andrea, all went to an electronic music festival on Karon Beach. It was hilarious because we all got pretty wasted, and Natalie’s parents tagged along for a bit. New Year’s Eve itself was incredible, as we first went to Patong Beach to light and release lanterns, and then we went to a swanky roofdeck party at the Marriott. At the party, there was an absolutely unreal view of 360 degree fireworks at midnight—amongst a backdrop of millions of lanterns. However, all 4 of us girls were so sick from the night before, that none of us finished our drink tickets (embarrassing!)

It was really interesting being in Phuket for New Years because it definitely portrayed how Westerners celebrate the New Year, as opposed to Thais. In Phuket, most of the white people got extremely drunk and reckless, while Thais in Ubon celebrated more quietly, and “made merit” on New Years morning by going to temple.  Not to mention, Westerners rung in year 2012, while Thais rung in year 2555. Nonetheless, I will never forget how unbelievable, even magical, it was to be standing on that roofdeck surrounded by fireworks at every angle when the clock stroke midnight. Unreal.


Natalie and me.
 Swimming in a National Park!

Natalie (left) with her sister Jess (right) and family and friends (back)
We all rented a long-tailed boat for the day to take us to some beautiful private beaches.

Jess's friend, Andrea. Andrea currently lives in Hanoi, Vietnam where she is 
a 4th grade school teacher at an International School.

Natalie, Me, Jess, and Andrea jumping for joy after we reached Rang Yai Island

Trying to be artsy. 
But c'mon, how secluded and beautiful is Rang Yai? I had to take advantage!

Posing with our boat. So Thai right now!

Aqua water

Natalie and I had some fun...

Natalie and me

Me and Jess

After island hopping, our boat driver took us to a floating restaurant that had lots of different fish trapped in nets (above), and you could literally go and pick what fish you wanted to eat. We had a feast. However, the next day, each and every one of us got sick.

Phuket, Thailand

Natalie and I getting ready to head to Karon Beach for the electronic music festival
 (I learned how to French braid here!)

Note to self: When I get drunk I like to speak Thai with new Thai friends (aka strangers)

Our first round of buckets...

Our second round of buckets...

What happens after you have one too many buckets. You either use the buckets to build sandcastles, or ride tuk tuks with strange naked French men. A memorable night! (Or, not so "memorable")

Today's itinerary: Big Bacon Breakfast. Let's take a close look at everything that is wonderful about this picture: pancakes, bread, bacon, spoons, forks, knives, and last but not least: NAPKINS. Now this is what I'm talking about when I say "vacation"!!!

Everyone was sick this day. We all went to the beach and just lied on our chairs. 
What a peaceful shot, no?

Maxi dresses for NYE

Patong Beach to light some lanterns and make some wishes for the new year.
Do you see me?

Launching my lantern

Quite a sight to see 

This sign can read minds!

Phuket nightmarket. Phuket has many Islamics, too (above). 
(With the exception of Southern Thailand, the rest of Thailand is pretty much all Buddhist)

Twirly, fried, potato stick. So delicious.

Horseshoe crabs

I told you the spirits prefer red Fantas! With straws, of course.

I'm a little teapot!

"Tsunami Hazard Zone"
These signs are everywhere, along with arrow-signs pointing people in the direction to run in case of a tsunami. Yikes.

Natalie and I stumbled upon some little girls playing with the most adorable orange kittens on the beach

The kittens ride a motorcycle!

Final photo in Phuket :)

No comments:

Post a Comment