Friday, January 20, 2012

Hangover 2

This past 3 day weekend (if you're thinking that it seems like I have a lot of 3 day weekends, you are right!) was one of the most adventure-filled amazing weekends ever. And, it closely resembled one of my favorite movies: The Hangover 2.

Last Friday was "Children's Day,"- so children came to school and played games and sports all day. Monday was "Teacher's Day," - so all teachers gave themselves the day off. One of my fellow bartending friends from college, Colette, had recently arrived in Thailand and was going to visit her other friend, Andrea, that weekend in the beach town of Sriracha. Colette, Andrea, and I all started facebook messaging, and we decided that I should try to come down too! I took an 8 hour overnight bus from Ubon to Bangkok that arrived at 4am, then I took a quick cab ride to a different bus station, and I caught a 2 hour bus to Sriracha. This was my first overnight bus, and I have to admit that I am VERY impressed. It was just like an airplane! Each chair came with a clean (well...) folded blanket, personal TV (I watched "Pretty Woman"...in English!), there was a lady bus attendant (cap and scarf included!), and 3 square meals. Heck, it was better than an airplane...I could bring any sized shampoo and toothpaste I wanted, as well as a huge pair of scissors!

Colette and Andrea (who I'd never met at this point, an English teacher too) met me around 6am when my bus dropped me off, and we went back to Andrea's place to sleep for a few hours. When we woke up, we headed to the nearby island of Koh Sichang for the day. I thought that it was less touristy and more quaint than many of the other islands that I've been to. Good fun! After our day at the beach, we packed up and headed down to Pattaya for the night.

Pattaya: Pattaya gained popularity as a R&R spot for soldiers during the Vietnam War. Today, there are two distinct groups that vacation in Pattaya: super old white men- who go to pick up prostitutes (everywhere) or to find 50 year younger Thai girlfriends, and Thai families: who are attracted to the restaurants and beaches. Pattaya reminds me a bit of a much (much!) shadier Atlantic City. So, obviously a fun weekend :) Upon arriving at a super swanky hotel (like, American swanky!), Andrea and I sat down and stuffed our faces with some complementary goodies and marveled at the hotel while Colette checked everyone in. Colette had met about 20 Australian buds when she was on Koh Samui and Koh Phangnan the week prior, and they were staying at this same hotel in Pattaya. She thought it would be fun to stay in the same hotel so we could all go out together and get crazy. Boy was she right, and our night was about to be off to an amazing start.

The only room in the hotel that was left was the Executive Suite, and the hotel offered to give the room to us at a regular room's rate. This room was meant to party. It had 280 degree ocean views, 2 huge bathrooms, a 6 person dining room table, marble kitchen...I could go on and on. The three of us spent a good 30 minutes just taking pictures and jumping on the furniture. Then, our 20 new Australian friends came over for a pregame that turned into a rager...people were running around half naked, some of the guys had bbguns...it was absolute madness. I will never forget that we listened to Colette's pirated Full Moon party mix (techno music) and Rihanna's new CD the whole time. When we finally left, we all went to Walking Street- probably the grimiest street in Pattaya. We saw our first ping pong show (I don't really want to talk about this on my blog hahaha) and...that's it, Mom and Dad! This is awkward. Did I mention that we fed giant turtles in Sriracha?

Cruising in the back of a tuk tuk in the main town on Koh Sichang

The windy, beautiful drive down to the beach

View from our tuk tuk. I'm pretty sure that Peter Pan lived here.

Our driver let us pull over and get out to take this picture. From left: Andrea, Colette, (me)

Fresh off of our 40 minute ferry ride, back to Sriracha!

Sriracha is known for incredible seafood. We stopped and browsed at a market near the shore.

Horse shoe crabs and squids! Does squid plural have an "s"? 
Not like I'm an English teacher or anything

Not the most appetizing, but good fun. Raw, chopped up "turtle food," aka squid.

Colette feeding one of Sriracha's monster turtles

Sriracha's famous sea turtles. There were so many people feeding them that they weren't even hungry!

While Colette checks us into our hotel in Pattaya, the Siam Bayview Hotel, Andrea and I enjoyed complementary chocolate chip cookies, with fresh chrysanthemum tea, and a cold towelette that we wiped all over our nasty faces. Ahh refreshing! Not quite the luxury either of us are used to at this point...

When all other rooms are booked so the hotel upgrades you to the "Executive Suite," it comes with a dining room, double doors, and a huge keychain that screams "There's a BOSS staying in room 850, bitch!" The boys in the back are some of Colette's Australian friends who came to check out the sweet ("suite!") view...no pun intended!

Oh yeah...

We have a marble kitchen and there's beer already stocked in the fridge.
Good reason to jump.

Colette (right) and I jumping for joy. If you could see out of that window behind us, it's all ocean :)
Do you like my romper? I bought it in Phuket. I'm still not sure how I feel about rompers.

When you lucked out over such a ridiculous room, and you're used to pooping on squat toilets and eating fried bugs with your fingers, the only appropriate thing to do would be to throw a party with some rowdy Aussies.
Pretty sure he's not Jewish. 

Colette checking out her balcony

Lucifer's, a popular bar on Walking Street in downtown Pattaya. 
Such a great night.

Getting groovy

Walking Street, Pattaya
(in my opinion, much shadier than Bangkok)

Some damage the morning after. Reminds me of the good old college days!

Our Executive Suite came with a free 650 baht brunch! 
AND IT HAD A HUGE CHEESE PLATTER!!!! 
I ate a lot of cheese for the first time in months, and then I got sick.

Taking a dip in the pool. Life is good :)


Pattaya Beach: the best beach for water sports in Thailand

glistening water

Andrea and me. 
We are now currently planning a trip together to Hong Kong!

Cute little stray cat 

Dad: I know you love Abe Lincoln. This shirt is for you.

My first Thai massage in Thailand (I know I waited so long I was just so busy!)
I was ticklish the entire time. The masseuse is our friend :)
Fyi: the massage was about $7/ hour.

Elephant walking down the street with a red flashing light taped on its tail!
I feel bad for it I wish it had some friends around, and I bet its tail wants to be free.

Some kids I stalked at the beach. They were decorating their sandcastle with flowers. I wanted to help them, but that would be weird

Colette in her Manning jersey, and me in my, well, "This is my third day of travel/ it's hot as balls" outfit.

An adorable fat kid playing in the midday sprinklers. 
(Note: It is okay to call people "fat" in Thailand. It's fact, so it is not rude to them. Thailand should not be watering grass in the middle of the day. Who can I talk to about this...)

If we were guys, it would be considered inappropriate to be hanging out at a children's playground.
But, we are girls so we can do whatever we want!

Oh hey, AirAsia airplane! 

Ubon Ratchathani Airport, serving 3 domestic locations:
Just like Ithaca Airport :)

3 comments:

  1. okay i'm not far in but i needed to stop to ask this pressing question: WHY did you need to bring a huge pair of scissors?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The point is that I COULD bring a big pair of scissors! I didn't, but the airport security always has the saddest bin of scissors. The airport is where scissors go to die. You never know when you might need a pair of scissors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. favorite elements of this post:
    --fridge stocked with beer
    --your romper (I do like it!)
    --the cheese plate, and you getting sick (sorry, it's funny)

    ReplyDelete