This
is a post that I have been WAITING to write for months. Since attending a Thai dance
performance this past Wednesday with my Thai family, Thai “etiquette” is fresh
in my mind. I hope that you enjoy reading these stories as much as I enjoyed
remembering them and writing them.
This
Wednesday my Thai Mom (Mahh Lahng), her granddaughter (Nomurri) and live-in
student (Nong) and I went to see students from a local university perform
traditional Thai Khon Dance. The performance was held in the college’s
auditorium- an auditorium similar to most university’s auditoriums. There was a
stage, a red curtain, and cushioned chairs. With every performance in Thailand,
whether it be a movie or a sports game, the King’s Song is played before (or
more rarely after) the event. This is something that I found extremely odd when
I first moved here. I went to a movie in Bangkok, and before the previews
everyone had to stand up- arms at their sides- and silently watch a 30 second
video of the King doing charitable deeds throughout Thailand. Also, the King’s
Song is played throughout the country (on every TV and radio channel) everyday
at 8am and then again at 6pm. This
particular performance started 30 minutes late, as is normal in Thailand. The
pace of life is much slower and relaxed here, but it can be frustrating as a
Westerner who likes things to be on time.
During the actual performance, people were allowed to take LOADS of
flash photography. It was even distracting to me, as an audience member!
Shockingly, telephones would ring and people would ANSWER them and have full-on
conversations – in the auditorium- during the performance. It’s not really
considered rude in this country to answer your phone anywhere. As a matter of
fact, Thais get extremely offended if you do not answer your phone. Halfway
through the performance Mahh Lahng reaches into her purse and pulls out
drumsticks. Chicken drumsticks. And corn on the cob. I felt like I was at KFC!
It was a complete fried chicken dinner, and it smelled like it. I asked her if
it was okay to eat in the auditorium, and she said it was fine. She must have
been telling the truth, because the people sitting around me didn’t seem to
care! In America, someone would have definitely complained. Can you imagine
pulling out a chicken wing during a ballet performance in the states?! Or
answering your telephone during a show and then continuing to have a
conversation?!
Restaurant Etiquette:
At
restaurants, it is perfectly polite to start your meal when it is served to
you. In other words, you don’t need to wait for everyone’s food to come.
However, this usually isn’t an issue as most meals are family-style. Thais eat
their food with 2 utensils- the fork and the spoon. The spoon is held in the
right hand- used as somewhat of a shovel, while the fork is held in the left
hand. The fork’s job is to help shovel food onto the spoon. There are no
knives. Ever. (However, machetes are used to prepare all of the meals). Every
time I eat with my fork in my right hand and nothing in my other hand, I am
corrected by a Thai person. They laugh at me and tell I am “doing it wrong.”
They think I am stupid, I know. I tell them that this is how we eat in America,
and the expressions on their faces contain both intrigue and horror. Also,
Thais do not usually eat with napkins. If they do, it is many times a roll of
toilet paper on the restaurant’s table. (I guess this makes sense, but it is
very funny to a Westerner to sit down at a restaurant and see a roll of toilet
paper on the table). While many restaurants do not have napkins, nearly every
restaurant does have toothpicks on the tables to pick the food out of your teeth when you’re done.
However, it is considered EXTREMELY rude to pick your teeth if you do not cover
your mouth with your other hand.
(On the flip side, it is not rude at all to shove your finger 6 inches
up your nose. Nose picking is a normal necessity in Thailand). Also, is it not considered rude to place bones from your chicken or fish directly on the table (not your plate). This took a little bit of getting used to for me! It is also common for Thais to collect and bring home chicken and fish bones, as well as not-spicy scraps from dinner in a plastic bag for their dogs at home (I guess this is where the term "doggy bag" comes from!) When you go to dinner at someone's house, they actually turn the TV on as soon as the meal starts. This has happened at every home dinner I've been to, and I've been to a lot of dinners. It's the exact opposite of Western culture, where the TV is usually turned off to enjoy company and conversation during a meal. Also, most Thai households do not have ovens.
Sidenote: Thais will try to stuff you with food until you are uncomfortable. In Western culture when you say "No thanks I'm full," the host doesn't pressure you. In Thailand, you are pressured to the point where it is extremely annoying (in my opinion). Similarly, I and many Fulbrights in Thailand have experienced the issue that when you tell a Thai that you are not free and that you're "busy" to try and politely turn their invitation down (as is an appropriate response in Western culture), Thais will then proceed to play "20 Questions" with you. Why are you busy? Where are you are going? Who are you going with? Well if you're busy now, what time will you be free? Sadly, we have found that it is actually better to lie to them, because they do not "accept" it if you say that you're "busy" or just need personal time. (In Thailand, there is no such thing as personal time.) It is appropriate to ask someone "bai nai?" (where are you going?) when you leave your apartment or home, and, as a farang, you grow to hate this question haha. It is also not considered rude to want to look in your grocery bag to see what you bought when you are coming back from the store. Oh! You learn to be tolerant and flexible in Thailand :)
Thai Straw Addiction:
Otherwise
known as TSA. I don’t know what it is with Thailand and their straws (drinking
straws), but they are given to you with any
and every drink. Including
(drumroll)…sealed water bottles. I understand that sometimes with the lack of
washing glasses straws could be viewed as a preventative health measure (you
don’t want to put your lips on a dirty glass). However, I think the real reason
for TSA is that Thais think that they look sexier drinking with a straw. I
rebel against TSA by refusing to drink drinks with straws. TSA is slowly and
unnecessarily killing our planet- one straw at a time.
Pedestrians
do not have the right of way, and there is no tipping in Thailand.
Appropriate Topics of Discussion:
Pretty
much anything and everything goes. Don’t be offended when someone, sometimes a
complete stranger, asks you flat out what your salary is or how much the shirt
you’re wearing costs. Appearance
and weight are also appropriate conversations. I have been asked how many kilos
I weigh before, and called fat (“ouan!”) or even asked if I’m pregnant (!) many
times. At first it’s shocking, but you learn to think it’s funny. It is
appropriate to poke someone younger than you in the belly like the Pillsbury Dough
Boy while calling them “ouan!”, or grab someone’s arm fat and jiggle it. One of
the other Fulbrights is constantly asked “What’s on your face? Are those
mosquito bites?” She has acne. In American culture, children are taught, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all." Thais have never heard of this phrase, and certainly don't live by it! Thais are also obsessed with skin color too. I
am complemented on my white skin nearly everyday (I don’t think I’m even that
much whiter than Thais- but they seem to notice even the slightest variations
in skin tone), as well as my eyebrows, shape of my face, and nose. When I tell
them that I don’t want to be white- I want to be tan- they look at me like I’m
a kon bababobo! (Crazy person). Diarrhea is always an appropriate topic of
conversation, even at the dinner table. Back in December, one of the first
questions a fellow teacher asked me was, “Have you had diarrhea yet?”
In
Thai culture, asking questions about money or commenting on appearance- both
positive and negative- is not seen as rude because it is simply seen as stating
fact. How could stating fact be rude?
(I see this argument! If you’re fat, everyone sees that you’re fat. Therefore,
it is not rude to call you fat!)
Impolite:
As a woman, wearing a skirt above your
knees, exercising in shorts, or showing your collarbone are considered impolite
(“mai supap!”) in Isaan. (Obviously, Bangkok is a large fairly Western city and
is very different). Throughout Thailand, however, feet and shoes are considered
very dirty and lowly. Anytime you enter a home you must remove your shoes.
Sometimes even public bathrooms will have slippers outside of the stalls for
you to change into so that you don’t (God forbid…I mean Buddha forbid!) wear
your dirty outside shoes into the crapper. I find removing shoes in public
places to be pretty gross. Again, I have gotten used to it. However, if I had a
Thai enemy I would love to stomp around their house- wearing my shoes.
The Thai Wai:
The
Thai Wai is unlike any other gesture I’ve yet to experience. “Wai-ing” someone
is when you place your palms together with your hands facing upwards in a “praying”
motion. The different heights of wais are significant, as well as who wais who
first. The three “wais” include a wai at chest level, a wai at nose level, and
a wai at forehead level. Thais wai other Thais to greet each other, express
gratitude, or request forgiveness. Younger people should always greet elders by
waiing them first, at the “mid” nose level wai. The elder person “accepts” this
wai by waiing them back with a chest level wai. (The higher the height of the
wai, the more respectful). The forehead level wai is only really used with
monks, to my knowledge- to show complete respect and submission. One of my favorite parts of Thai
culture (too!) is that before any speech or before getting in front of a group
of people/ performing a service (e.g. flight attendants, masseuses, etc.) Thais
will deeply wai the audience with a bit of a head bow as well. My masseuse
waied me before beginning my massage last night, and it was so special! Last
semester some of the students at my school stole from me, and their grandmother
apologized to me/ pleaded for forgiveness from me by kneeling down and waiing
me deeply. (For an elder to wai a younger like this was moving). Plus, you don’t need to worry about germs when you shake
hands! (Although there are enough other germs…) The Thai Wai is by far one of
my favorite, most beautiful pieces of
Thai culture.
Jai Yen
“Jai
Yen” means “have a cool heart.” I love that many Thais live a relaxed, unrushed
“cool” existence. It is so completely different from the hectic, chaotic,
stressed-out American culture that I am familiar with. Before coming to
Thailand, I didn’t even know that it was possible to live such a “sabai sabai”
(comfortable, relaxed) life. The Thai language has over 700 (something crazy
like that) words involving the word “heart,” or “jai.” I love this piece of
Thai culture. I think that,
generally, Thais enjoy life more than Americans.
Losing Face
The
concept of “losing face” or being embarrassed or humiliated is one that I find
fascinating. Many Thai students are very shy and don’t like speaking English
out loud because they are afraid that they will make a mistake in front of
their peers and then “lose face.” This year I have been trying to teach my
students that making mistakes when you learn a new language should be a goal, actually, because it means that
you’re practicing speaking and you will be more likely to remember your
mistake. Losing face also applies to issues you might have with another person.
For example, last year one of the Fulbright’s houses was completely unprepared
for her arrival. However, she couldn’t directly tell the landlord that she was
upset that her house wasn’t ready because that would be questioning the landlord’s
integrity (I know- to a Westerner it doesn’t make any sense). She had to “go
around” the issue by talking to other Thai teachers, who then talked to friends
of the landlord, who then talked to the landlord. The “Thai approach” is a very indirect,
almost passive aggressive approach. Telling someone that you’re upset with or
who you feel “wronged” you to their face why you’re upset is not the Thai way. First you must gossip
to your friends that you don’t like them or have a problem with them, and then
go “indirectly” around the issue. Being from America, I have found this to be
challenging. When I have an issue, I think it’s easier/ better to be as direct
as possible, and I expect the same back with me. While it’s important to me to respect Thai culture, it’s also
important to me to stay true to my own culture and teach people that different
cultures have different “styles” of dealing with things. With my students, I am
sure that I have a collection of faces.
Karma:
Thais
vehemently believe in karma, as well as many other superstitions (E.g. Did you
know that Thais believe that it is bad luck to point at a rainbow? They believe
that your finger will fall off. I am not making this up- this has been
confirmed by many different Thais throughout the country who I’ve met.) If you are sick, you must not drink cold water (one of my personal favorites). Due to the Buddhist belief in reincarnation, you are not supposed to kill anything. (I was once told not to try and clap a mosquito that had just bitten me!) It is also taboo (considered bad luck) to call babies cute. Instead of calling them cute, which might make the gods jealous, you can call them ugly and everyone will know it's a complement. God(s) forbid, you don't want a cute baby! Also, karma’s
a bitch.
Heads: Heads are considered the holiest part of the body, and feet the lowliest. Therefore, if you are older than someone (a "Pi") it is okay for your to touch someone's head who is younger than you, but not if they are older than you. It is very impolite to sit with your feet up if someone is near your feet, and it is also considered rude to "point" at things with your feet. I have made a "foot mistake"in Thailand 3 significant times that I can remember. The first time, I was teaching my students the word "shoe" and I took off my shoes and waved it in the air. Looking back on this, I think that this was a big no-no. The second time was early on a Sunday morning when I was driving with one of my host teachers to a wat to feed the monks breakfast. I was sitting in the passenger seat of the car, and had just bought mangoes and put the bag near my feet. My host teacher almost freaked out, telling me that if those mangoes were to be eaten by monks, they could not be anywhere near my feet. The third time was just tonight. I was, again, driving back from an art fair with my Thai Mom. I bought a lovely carved wooden Buddha, and, again, absent mindedly placed the bag it was in near my feet!
Heads: Heads are considered the holiest part of the body, and feet the lowliest. Therefore, if you are older than someone (a "Pi") it is okay for your to touch someone's head who is younger than you, but not if they are older than you. It is very impolite to sit with your feet up if someone is near your feet, and it is also considered rude to "point" at things with your feet. I have made a "foot mistake"in Thailand 3 significant times that I can remember. The first time, I was teaching my students the word "shoe" and I took off my shoes and waved it in the air. Looking back on this, I think that this was a big no-no. The second time was early on a Sunday morning when I was driving with one of my host teachers to a wat to feed the monks breakfast. I was sitting in the passenger seat of the car, and had just bought mangoes and put the bag near my feet. My host teacher almost freaked out, telling me that if those mangoes were to be eaten by monks, they could not be anywhere near my feet. The third time was just tonight. I was, again, driving back from an art fair with my Thai Mom. I bought a lovely carved wooden Buddha, and, again, absent mindedly placed the bag it was in near my feet!
Karaoke:
Do you like it? Or do you love it. These are your only two choices. Considering that Thais are very concerned with Losing Face, it befuddles me that no one in this country is embarrassed to sing a song. Many Thais' ideal Friday or Saturday night involves loads of food, beer and whiskey, and singing karaoke with your friends for 6 hours. There is no such thing as a noise violation in this country. Thais love their noise.
Stereotypes I have heard about American’s, or
more generally “Farang”:
Okay
first, let’s talk about how hilariously racist and dangerously general the term
“farang” is. “Farang” literally
translates to (any) white foreigner. However, it is a perfectly acceptable word
to use in everyday conversation. I will be at a restaurant and hear the waiter
ask the Thai friend I’m with, “What does the farang want to eat?” I am often
asked to translate things from Thai into “Pasa Farang” or “Farang Language.”
People, there is not one farang language. I think that you mean “English.” One
of the things that has been most shocking to me since moving to Thailand is
that I’ve discovered that the concept of Political Correctness does not exist
here. That is (especially) an American thing. Instead of using the word “farang,”
Thais might as well call white westerners “aliens” or “rich white skins!” Here
goes a short list of stereotypes I’ve heard- about “farang” of course. (Don’t
flatter yourself, Americans!)
- Farang like to wear seatbelts
- Farang like to be on time
- Farang like to eat mangoes
- Farang are all Christian
- Farang are so rich!
- Farang like to wear blue
jeans
A few
questions I’ve received:
1.
Does America have schools? (My response: That's how I got here)
2.
Does America have homeless people? (My host teacher asked me this, and
was surprised when I told her YES!)
3.
Do Americans know about Thailand?
4. Do Americans eat rice every day?
5. Does America have sticky rice?
6. How much does a watermelon cost in America? A papaya? (Thais are usually stunned when I tell them that we don't have many of the tropical fruits that grow in Thailand)
4. Do Americans eat rice every day?
5. Does America have sticky rice?
6. How much does a watermelon cost in America? A papaya? (Thais are usually stunned when I tell them that we don't have many of the tropical fruits that grow in Thailand)
Riding the Songtaew:
Songtaews
are the public form of transportation in Thailand, and they are essentially
covered pick-up trucks with installed benches in the back. It is 10 baht, or
about 33 cents, to ride the songtaew in Ubon. I ride a songtaew almost everyday
home from school. When riding in a songtaew, it is very common for men to give
their seats up to women (if there
are no free seats). One time when I was in Chiang Mai, the driver of the
songtaew actually got out of the drivers seat to come yell at a man who was
sitting when I got on and had to stand. He said in Thai “You’re a man, you
stand! The lady sits.” Well done, Mr. Songtaew Man! It is also very normal, and
expected, that young people give up their seats to anyone elder than them. Just
yesterday I rode a pretty packed songtaew, and I observed both men and
youngsters giving up their seats. I gave my seat up as well to a maybe-40 year
old woman who got on after me. It felt damn good. On the songtaew, it is also
very normal to strike up a conversation with anyone and everyone. It is a very
confined space, so it’s almost hard not to. This is one of my favorite parts
about living in Thailand- the friendly strangers that want to know everything
about you as soon as they find out that you speak Thai.
School:
Thai
schools are extremely different than American schools. (I can’t speak for other
Western schools). Tin Thailand students are extremely respectful of their teachers,
and “wai” to them first in the morning or upon passing. (The younger person
should always wai the older person first). Before school starts, students are sweeping the classrooms
and school grounds, trimming the shrubbery, watering the plants, and helping
prepare food in the school kitchen- tasks that would be “outsourced” as other
grown-up jobs in America., or even be considered child abuse. When a student
speaks to a teacher, they bow beneath them to make sure that they are
physically smaller than you. When I’m eating at lunch- sitting down- students
will crouch if they come to talk with me. Teachers have students help them
carry their laptops and bags to their classrooms from their cars in the morning,
and send them to deliver things (like worksheets or snacks) to other teachers
throughout the day. I think that Thai teachers would be horrified if they taught
in American schools. Students in American schools are given much more “power,”
and are often viewed as much closer to an “equal” to their teachers. Thai
schools are also huge on discipline. Uniforms must be worn appropriately, and
girls must sit down with their legs tucked to the side when they sit in their
skirts. Boys must have short hair, and girls must their hair no longer than
their ears (cut in a bob!) If their hair is too long, sometimes teachers will
line these students up and cut their hair in front of everyone. Fingernails
must be short and clean, and there are regular “fingernail checks” at my
school. Boys must hold out their hands at an assembly to show their teacher. If
their fingernails aren’t to the teacher’s liking, s/he will flick them with a
switch and tell that students he needs to clip his nails that night. (Hitting is still used in many school
in Thailand, but in my experience it has never been violent. As a matter of
fact, the students laugh when a naughty boy gets lightly swatted.)
Telephones:
Like
I mentioned earlier, it is extremely rude to not answer your cell phone- no
matter the situation. In the States, if you are busy say, in a meeting or
teaching a class, you keep your phone away, and if it rings you do not answer
it. You have priorities. In
Thailand, the number one priority is answering your telephone. Even if you are
at (drumroll) a wedding or a funeral.
(I have experienced this first hand. It was shocking). Also, if for some crazy reason you do not answer your phone, it is appropriate for
the caller to call you four or five times, within four or five minutes.
(Because that’s gonna make you
answer!) In America, if you call and leave a voicemail (or even just have a
missed call) it’s assumed that the other person will see the missed call and
call you back. I should also add that is not taboo to ask a complete stranger
for their cell phone number. Just this morning we had Thai visitors from
another school at our school. They often like to talk with me, asking me where
I’m from and how many years I’ve lived in Thailand. Yesterday, a very kind
visitor came into my class and asked me “Where you from?” After I answered her
question, her Question #2 was “What is your cell phone number?”…as she took out
a piece of paper and a pencil. This is when Emily tells Thai strangers that she
does not have a telephone in Thailand.
Cameras & Photos:
Considering
that many Thais would like cell phone numbers of complete strangers, it makes
sense that they would also want photographs of complete strangers (almost
always white foreigners). I cannot tell you the number of times I have been
asked to be in photos with complete Thai strangers while out and about. Most
noticeably, at the Royal Flora exhibit in Chiang Mai in January, I offered to
take a photo of a Thai family so that the entire family could be in the
picture. Contrarily, they wanted me to
be in their photo instead. Standing in the center. All 7 cameras from the
different family members were passed to the Thai photographer. As a Westerner I
think, Why would you want a stranger in
your picture? Hilariously, I know that these photos are often developed and
framed, as my Thai Mom has a picture of her and a farang child (a complete
stranger she met in Cambodia) framed in her living room. I wonder how many
pictures there are of me framed in living rooms throughout Thailand? (I have
literally taken hundreds of pictures with Thai strangers).
Sidenote:
Thais don’t smile in photos. This is very funny to me and many other
Westerners. When Thais take photos, I now refer to them as “having their
funeral faces on.”
It is
also not considered rude to shove a video camera in your face. There have been
many times at school where visitors enter my classroom while I am sitting at my
desk- sometimes eating a snack, and I look up and there is a video camera a
foot away from my face. Even just last week at the Ubon Airport when I went
back to check if the airline had found a camera I lost on a plane, a stranger
pulled out his video camera and stood about two feet behind me- filming me as I
talked with the airline representative. Totally normal in Thailand. The concept
of “privacy” is very different over here. At times it’s flattering and fun
because you feel like a celebrity, but other times it feels invasive and
unwanted. If you’re one of those people that hates their picture being taken,
do not come to Isaan.
Birthdays:
Birthdays
in Thailand are not a big deal. As a matter of fact, birthdays being an “individual”
celebration is a Western value. Most Thais celebrate (all Thais’) birthdays
collectively on “Father’s Day” or “Mother’s Day” - the King and Queen’s
Birthdays. (Another example of this “collectivist” mindset is witnessed in the
communal, family style meals). In Thailand on your birthday, you celebrate by
making merit at the wat in the morning (usually feeding monks). While you do
wish “Happy Birthday” on a birthday, it is quiet. Many people don’t even tell
you it’s their birthday until the day of their birthday- when they will quietly
whisper, “Today’s my birthday.” In America, people know it’s going to be my
birthday the day after my birthday is over- 364 days and the countdown is on.
Not to mention a week before letting the (world) know. In Thailand, there is no
party or cake or presents. In America, I like to wear a crown on my birthday
and have a party…ME! ME! ME! ME!
Also
related to birthdays, Thais are continuously stunned when I tell them that I
don’t know the day of the week I was born on, or that I don’t know the meaning
of my name. In Thailand, there is great significance (and superstition) related
to the day of the week (e.g. Monday, Tuesday, etc.) that you were born. Every Thai knows the day of the week
they were born on. When a Thai person asks me what day of the week I was born
(a common question) and I tell them that I do not know, they think that I do
not understand their question.
Things I Was Surprised by When I First
Arrived in Thailand (and now feel kind of silly for feeling surprised):
- Loads of people riding in
the back of pick up trucks
- Being surprised when my
students told me they’d never flown on an airplane
- Being surprised when my
students had never heard of Shakespeare (why would they…the beauty of
Shakespeare’s writing lies in his English!)
- Children, young children being extremely skilled
at cutting things with machetes
- Seeing students and teachers
alike dress up in their Thursday “scout” uniforms- complete with knee socks and
bouret (This must be what 1950 America felt like)
- Seeing teachers flick
students with sticks or rods (This must be what 1950 America felt like)
- Seeing a student try on a
Khon Dance crown at school and thinking it was a joke (It was huge! And I’d
never seen one before. Definitely not a joke.)
- Girls holding hands or
linking arms with girls wherever they go; Boys “touching” each other as well-
either resting their hands on each others shoulders, or lying next to each
other while watching a movie (in a 100 percent platonic, chummy way. Love it.)
My 9th Grade girls are interested/ not embarrassed reading Disney princess books I brought
Machetes are everywhere, and used for cutting everything. I once had a student bring a sword to school.
My 9th Grade girls are interested/ not embarrassed reading Disney princess books I brought
Machetes are everywhere, and used for cutting everything. I once had a student bring a sword to school.
- It being completely
acceptable for me to wear purple and pink and flower-painted shirts (Again,
love it)
- Thais being so obsessed with white skin that they wear
sweatshirts and pants on 100+ degree days, and the first question they ask if
you tell them you saw a cute Thai boy is “Was he white?!” (The Thai version of
asking “Was he cute?!”)
- It being grammatically
correct in the Thai language to refer to yourself in the 3rd person
- Calling, and viewing,
everyone “Pi” or “Nong” before their first name (Older or younger brother/
sister)
- During orientation when my
Thai director told me that every family has a framed photo and calendar of the
King of Thailand in their home, I thought she was kidding.
- Seeing larger than life
posters of the King of Thailand throughout the entire country- from Bangkok to
Ubon to Chiang Mai to Phuket and so on. Constant reminders that I am in a far
away land.
- Thai names. Every Thai
person has a long “real” Thai name and then a nickname that they are commonly
known by. Nicknames are often colors, animals, or weather elements. My favorite
nickname is “Beer.” I teach 2 Beers.
- All of the Thai teachers
have arbitrary English names that they picked out and go by (with me), but have
no idea what each other’s English names are and didn’t teach me their Thai
names. No one ever knows who I’m talking about, and I never know who anyone
else is talking about.
Gender Roles:
Men
and women are not equal in Thailand. Thailand is a country that caters to men.
Men and women participate in typical gender-stereotyped roles. Women do the
cooking, cleaning and childcare, and men are the primary breadwinners. Also,
women have children at a very young age- I would say from 18 to 25 is the
average, normal age in Isaan. Interestingly, just last night my Thai Mom asked
me how many children I want to have. I told her 4 (I’m not sure I want 4, but I
wanted to see her reaction). She laughed, and told me that it “was too late,”
because I would already need to be married and have started. I told her that it’s
not too late at all- in America women have children in their 30s and sometimes
even in their late 30s. Mahh Lahng made a disgusted facial expression and told
me that “that’s not right.” In
another interesting exchange, a few months ago I went over to my Thai family’s
house to learn how to make a Chinese snack for the Chinese New Year. All of the
women sat on the floor on a rolled out floor mat. (Of course, with our legs
tucked “politely” behind us instead of sitting in an “impolite”
pretzel-style). I asked Mahh Lahng
if Paw Owt (my Thai father) wanted to help us. After looking at me like I had
just asked the strangest question in the world she responded, “No of course
not! Paw Owt is a man. Men don’t cook!” I told her that in America many men
enjoy cooking, and that, more importantly, many women enjoy when a man cooks
even more! (Once again, I found myself thinking, I have time traveled back in time and I am living in the 1950s.)
My
Thai Mom also told me that if a woman likes a man, the man must visit and
pursue her, and not the other way around. When I told her that in America when
a woman likes a man, it is okay for her
to travel to see him, she looked both stunned and horrified, yet again. Mahh
Lahng told me that it is also not polite or acceptable for girls to ride on
motorcycles with boys. Girls should ride with girls, and boys with boys
(because riding a motorcycle is SO sexual). When I run in a tee shirt and Sofe
running shorts (which are athletic shorts that pretty much every girl from 15
to 25 owns- they are not spandex and are definitely not trying to be sexy), she
told me that they are “impolite.” I am not allowed to show my collarbones or
sexy knees at school, and wearing pants is frowned upon (1950s…). Once when I was wearing a tee shirt Mahh Lahng told me
that I should wear a vest over it to conceal my breasts. (I’m sorry, this is my
body and I have breasts and I am dressed conservatively in a tee shirt not
showing cleavage. No, I will not wear a vest to make myself look like a man. I am proud of being a woman!!!) In this
culture, having breasts and being a woman is almost viewed as a negative thing.
It is highly valued for women to be virgins when they first marry. However, few
men are. In fact, it is known and accepted
that many Thai husbands cheat on their wives. While I do not support this, I
understand it. Women put up with anything
in this country involving their husbands: cheating, physical and mental
abuse, and whiskey-drinking alcoholics. However, I have been told by women that it is “impolite” if I as a
woman drink alcohol. In some ways, by believing and saying things like this the
women are helping to enforce their secondary roles in society. (Again, Bangkok
is very different than the rest of Thailand).
Bangkok,
and Thailand more generally, is a place of polar opposite extremes, in that you
can be walking down the street in Bangkok and walk past a street vendor selling
dildos as you also pass an Islamic woman completely covered except for the slit
where her eyes are. Thailand has a blatant prostitute industry (even though
prostitution is illegal- although
many people think it’s not because it is so well known what areas of the city
to go to and “in your face flashy”) where women dressed in bras and panties
dance provocatively outside of Go-Go Bars in Bangkok, yet the overarching valued culture is that women must be
virgins when they marry. Don’t even get me started on prostitution, but I think
that it’s one of the telling signs that women have not reached true equality
with men in a country.
Wedding rings are not a thing here. If you want to know if someone is married, you have to ask.
Wedding rings are not a thing here. If you want to know if someone is married, you have to ask.
On a
final note on this topic, at Thai weddings, the groom and his family must
provide a dowry for the bride’s family. I was at a Thai wedding in November and
I was absolutely shocked that part of the wedding ceremony was the groom’s
family actually physically presenting the bride’s family with gold bracelets
and jewels, one by one showing the crowd each piece that they were handing over
in “exchange” for the bride. I have asked a few of my Thai Bangkok friends, and
they say that this is a normal practice in Thailand, even in Bangkok. Then they
asked if most Americans use dowries too.
My Thai Mom, Mahh Lahng, and I eating corn and
fried chicken in an auditorium earlier this week.
Thai Khon Dance performance
(Note: This was the crown a student brought into school
one day that I at first thought was a joke...I'd never seen one!)
A traditional Thai Dancer dances while the music
ensemble (left) plays the accompanying music.
Khon Dance is really beautiful, and very different.
A dancer in a cool elephant mask
(Elephants are considered holy in Thailand)
A lovely, delicate dancer. Her costume was so sparkly
I wish that this picture came out better!
Traditional Indonesian dance. It was so neat- they danced
with these "sashes" that were attached to their skirts.
The performance tasted even better with fried chicken.
A public restroom at the White Temple in Chiang Rai
with "public" slippers to change into before squatting
over their squat toilet. Debate: Is this more or less
sanitary than just actually leaving your own shoes on?
The Thai Wai
Thai students wai their teachers in respect on
Teacher Gratitude Day
Children are taught from an early age to wai their elders first
Thais waiing a Buddha image at a wat
(Shoes off, of course)
This is one of my oldest pictures from Thailand.
Waiing next to Ronald McDonald. Tourist much? :)
The Thai Wai in a Citi ad at Bangkok's Suvarnabumi Airport
Decorated speakers BLASTING music at a village parade.
Thais love their noise. Also, YES.
(I sadly don't have a picture of this, but "advertisement-pick up trucks"
drive around everyday BLARING ads. Never in America. So funny)
Karaoke.
Riding a songtaew (covered pick up truck with installed
benches) in Ubon. There are "buzzers" to press when you want to get off. To get on,
just flag one down on the side of the road. (The Thai "flagging down" or "come here"
motion simply requires holding out your hand towards the ground and quickly
touching your fingers to your palm... different than the American up in the air waving motion.)
Thai Government (girls) school uniforms
Students help prepare food for the teachers at school.
(Notice the machetes, and that there are no boys)
More students helping prepare food in the school kitchen
(I adore these girls)
Even younger students help tidy up around the school
Students must take off their shoes before entering a classroom.
Teachers are allowed to keep their shoes on,
showing a different level of power.
Kru Emily: What is strapped in the back of your belt?
4th Grader: Just a knife!
Kru Emily: What is strapped in the back of your belt?
4th Grader: Just a knife!
One of many many pictures I've posed in for strangers
Another photo with complete strangers.
A pick up truck loaded with people- something that I found shocking
when I first arrived. My host teacher thought I was crazy for taking a
picture of something so arbitrary.
"Muslim Prayer Room/ Waiting Room for Monks" sign
at the airport. Shocking to see this the day I arrived in Thailand.
"Please Offer Your Seat to Monks" sign on the
Bangkok BTS. Shocking (cool!) at first
Monks on the backs of motorbikes are not shocking to
me anymore, but I really enjoy seeing this image :)
Cars in Bangkok (outside of Chatuchak Market)
I included this picture because it is just so Thai
with all of the happy, very bright colors. It also
was something that I noticed when I arrived from the US.
The day I helped "the women" make Chinese New Year snacks.
After telling my Thai Mom that many men in America like to cook.
Women teachers at school help prepare a meal.
This was just so "Thai" to me I had to include it:
Someone pre-peeled these oranges to make it easier
for people to eat them. So hospitable! Very Thai.
Dressing conservatively
Thais are obsessed with white skin, and they are conservative.
The two boys fully clothed in the water (left) are Thai.
It is not unusual for Thais to wait until late afternoon to go for
a swim, and to go swimming in long sleeves and long shorts.
(My students think it's scandalous that I own a bikini haha)
It's not raining, just sunny.
White skin means beauty and wealth in Thailand.
(Dark skin means that you're a farmer and poor. In
America, dark (tan) skin means that you have money
to go on vacations and relax. So interesting!)
Thais are very supersitious. Three is considered a lucky number.
Even better than the number three is multiples of three haha.
Here in Bangkok, I make sure to bang the gong three times.
A tree wrapped with ribbons and draped in lucky
jasmine wreaths for good luck.
Checking out the belly of a turtle to see if it
has any lucky or unusual patterns.
(This is why I love living in Thailand...)
Evidence of a Collectivist Society: Family style meals
The concept of political correctness does not exist in Thailand.
Here is a list of Visa fees for various countries (mainly "rich farang" countries :))
at the border crossing into Laos. At the bottom of the list: "The Other Countries"
Thai Funeral
Guests must wear either black or white clothing.
Here, guests make their way to a shrine to deposit
a paper flower that each guest (is handed) that will be
cremated with the body (beautiful if you think about it :))
Holding a beautiful paper flower that will be cremated with the body.
Also interestingly, beautifully wrapped coins are thrown in the air as
guests make their way to the shrine (yes, hitting you in the face)
Thai Wedding
Notice the bride's beautiful traditional attire
The father of the groom presents the dowry to the father
of the bride in front of all of the wedding guests.
(Here he takes out a gold bracelet from a pouch.)
At Thai weddings, guests can not wear black attire.

No comments:
Post a Comment