Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Mom & Dara's Visit, Part 5: Krabi

I did do one thing right on the large, long trip that I pretty much (entirely) planned: End our travels on the beautiful Thai beaches! Better yet, a luxurious resort that I rarely get to experience these days...it was such a TREAT!

There aren't many stories to share here, because we all literally just sat on the beach (or in hammocks) and read books. Dara and I went sea kayaking and her hat blew off once. We also were mobbed by this group of middle-school boys who were swimming at their nearby school and wanted to play with our kayak. For Mother's Day dinner, we ate at this little Mom and Pop Thai restaurant just outside of the resort. We ordered a FEAST, and they had specially bought mangoes and sticky rice for us (by request the previous day). It was one of the best meals, and I had so much fun translating.

One more hilarious story: The woman who drove us to the airport and from the airport, named Taw, loved me so much that she bought me a Krabi tee-shirt in the airport. She kept telling Mom and I, "When you come back you stay at my house!" (So Thai :)) I have her number saved, and she's called me 3x in the week I've been back in Ubon, asking if I've had lunch yet. A little weird, but so very Thai, and endearing. A new friend!


Taxi drivers wait to greet freshly arrived visitors at Krabi's tiny airport

Our first, incredibly elegant, glimpse of the ocean
from the resort check-in area

Is that an ORCHID on my pillow?!

The prettiest ash tray I've ever seen

Dara is ready for the beach!

Paradise

Emily is ready for the beach too. The book I'm holding, 
"The Hunger Games," was so good, by the way.

Infinity pool and swim up bar! Dara and I had lunch here, 
and it was my first time at a swim up bar. I accidentally 
dropped the ketchup lid in the pool, though...oops!

Chairs overlooking the infinity pool, hammocked
grounds, and sprawling Andaman Sea :)

My home for the last 4 days of the trip.
The definition of serenity!

My view from the beach :)

Mom and Dara enjoying a little snack with a great little 
two person band in the background- they loved doing
different versions of the song "Country Road" ha

The calm pool at dusk

Umbrella shades are closed every late afternoon

Sunset 
Do you see the little black dog (right)

More sunset

Dara taking a photo of the beautiful sunset.
I love this picture.

Dara and Mom's outlines

Magnificent!

Dara and I take one last photo on the beach before
she had to go back to America the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment