Thursday, April 12, 2012

HONG KONG!!!

Hong Kong was an absolutely amazing trip. I traveled there last week with my friend who I met in Pattaya a few months back, Andrea. Andrea used to babysit for a family who moved to Hong Kong, and they invited her and a friend (me!) to stay at their beautiful apartment in Kennedy Town for free in exchange for cat sitting. (Sounds like a good deal to me!) After a slight hiccup of arriving at the Hong Kong airport and not being able to find the driver they sent to pick us up for several hours (a very nice Hong Konger at the airport lent us his computer), we eventually found him and made it to the apartment. The family whose apartment we stayed at left us a detailed list of their "Top Things to Do," a detailed map of the area, their guide books, pre-loaded Octopus cards (cards used for all public transportation), and a list of their friends and their phone numbers in the area in case we needed help. I can't think of anything more awesome than the way they hooked us up...I want to do that for someone else someday!

As with every new place I visit, I love going to the grocery store. It was really interesting to see what "authentic" Chinese food they had, and products that were carried in Hong Kong that I couldn't find in Bangkok (like my favorite Salt and Vinegar chips!) Although, my first real meal was a delicious bowl of Wonton soup from a local shop. I really wanted an egg roll, but there were no pictures and I couldn't describe it to them in Cantonese. Bummer. It was pretty surreal to not be able to communicate or understand what was being spoken...I felt handicapped to an extent! Reminds me of my first few weeks in Thailand :)

Andrea and I ended up calling one of the friends on the list of names and numbers we were left (Jimmy and Angie) for advice about using the buses. Jimmy and Angie actually ended up hanging out with us all week, and they even came over with a computer for us to borrow, as well as a HK cell phone. Also a huge coincidence: My friend, Danny, from high school (and the NBC Show "The Sing Off") was randomly in HK performing with his acapella group. Danny ALSO knows Andrea from summercamp. Andrea and I only met each other a few months ago. Small world much?! We all hung out all week together!!! It really felt like we had a little life in Hong Kong :)

Hong Kong is a very interesting place because it was a British colony until 1997 (still kind of hard for me to believe!) Some of their coins still have Queen Elizabeth's face on them! I talked with a lot of Hong Kong natives, and they pretty much all agreed that they consider themselves Chinese but they "would never" say they are from China. The only negative experience I really had in Hong Kong was that so so many people cut lines and budged...especially at amusement parks. In the West, people would throw a fit if they waited in line and people just cut right to the front. A few people got very angry, but most just let it happen. It might be the norm in HK, but it brings about some interesting questions about cultural differences. Do you think that it's universally rude to blatantly cut lines? Or, are we imposing our "Western" views of what's rude/ not rude onto an Eastern culture where it might be acceptable?

Some of the highlights of Hong Kong were:
- riding the Star Ferry to Kowloon to see Danny's performance
- Watching the Sound and Light show from Kowloon
- seeing the amazing view of the harbour from Victoria Peak
- spending an entire afternoon riding in a double decker tram around the city
- buying a historically accurate Chinese chess set from the Temple Street Market
-OCEAN PARK!!! (with Andrea, Danny, and his friend/ groupmate Kieran)
- taking a ferry to see the outlying island of Cheung Chau (and going to a proper tea tasting there!)
- drinking champagne with Andrea and our new friend Victoria (lives in HK- met at Danny's performance!) on the rooftop of IFC
- Pizza and pasta dinner at Isola overlooking the city (I still love Western food...)
- Going out every night with all of our friends :) to Long Kai Fong (LKF) Just an fyi, you can drink on the street in HK, and LKF is made up of little windy, ramp-like streets...everyone buys beer at 7/11 and drinks and dances together on the street. Such an amazing nightlife
- Going to a Snake Dinner with Jimmy and the boys
- Meeting another old high school friend, Elizabeth, and exploring the Sham Shui Po area and then going out for a proper Dim Sum meal (waiters push carts and you choose what you want from the cart!)...
- Eating chicken feet!!!
- Exploring the Goldfish Market in Mong Kok
- Exploring the Yuen Po Bird Garden and listening to the famed songbirds
- Dialogue in the Dark (This is the COOLEST THING EVER. It's #1 on Trip Advisor when I was researching top things to do in HK. It's a simulated tour where they've created an environment where you are actually blind, they hand you a blind person's cane, and the tour is guided by a blind person. Can't give away much else in case you go, but it was incredible.)
- Staying out until 715am on our last night, going straight from the club to breakfast Dim Sum, and then making an 1125am flight to SINGAPORE!

A post on Singapore is coming next :) Today I am back in Bangkok, and ready for the Thai New Year, "Songkran." Did someone say National 3 day water fight?! Enjoy the pics.


Is it sad that this is the first picture I took in Hong Kong?
How pretty is that "imported from America" American flag beneath the chips?!

Andrea and I exploring Tsim Tsa Tsui Promenade

The Yellow Jackets rocked it at the Hong Kong Cultural Centre on Kowloon

Andrea was called on stage (I was jealous that Danny picked her and not me!!), 
but then she had to sing hahaha

Sound and Light show on the harbour!

such a pretty city :)

Andrea and I at the top of Victoria Peak

Andrea, Victoria, Danny and me!


"Urinal for Kid"

Hong Kong at night

Pregaming at a bar that served jello shots from syringes!

Drinking our very expensive draft beer 

Pardais- the crazy cat we looked after, sleeping on our bed.
Notice the view from the apartment- that's the South China Sea!!

Wet Market 
(aka would be illegal due to sanitation issues in the states)

Emily is happy at a Chinese bakery!
Step 1: Get a tray and tongs
Step 2: Put lots of pastries on your tray!

Hong Kong
(that car on the left is a taxi- all cabs in Hong Kong look like this)

Lunch time in Hong Kong! 
Do you see the trams?

Ocean Park, Hong Kong

Andrea and I in front of the cable cars 
I have been WAITING to ride :)


Kieran and I with a Panda Bear napping in the background!

Red Pandas are underrated

Watching a Panda Bear eat bamboo in Hong Kong. 
YES.

Danny and Kieran in the cable car

View from our cable car!

View from our cable car

South America? 
Nope, Hong Kong, BABY!

Sorry there are so many cable car pictures...this was the one
thing that I NEEDED to do in HK. Do you see the roller coasters at the 
end of the island?
Ocean Park

Group shot! 
Kieran told us that he has "really sensitive eyes" haha

Another view from our cable car.
And yes, it was as fun and beautiful as it looks!

Rollaaacoastaaaa

Cable car ride back to the other side of the park

View of Ocean Park

Cheung Chau Island...definitely different than HK proper!!!

Chinese dessert!
Cocnut milk with mango and "peanut ball ice-cream"
Very delicious and kind of looks like a smiley face :)

Andrea and me with all of the boats

Tea tasting!
I love how he sanitized our cups by spilling hot water on them,
this seems to be a trend throughout Asia :)

So many beautiful teapots!

Apple Store, Hong Kong
Two stories, spiral staircase inside, and PACKED.

Drinking champagne on the roof of IFC

Pizza, ravioli and a BREAD basket at Isola

A white tablecloth?! We must not be in Thailand anymore :)!

Group shot!

Armani does flowers?! 
Only in HK.

Drinks with the boys at Azure. 
What a night :)

Eating "gold" with Aaron and Rey 
(singers with Danny)

My first time smoking Shi-sha! (Hukka)
I like it.

When I asked someone what they thought this was they guessed bone marrow. EW.
This is a poisonous snake I ate (tasted..) for dinner, friends!

Jordan, Andrea, me, and our man Jimmy!

Elizabeth and I at Sham Shui Po!

Proper Dim Sum :)

Chicken feet!

Goldfish Market

Yuen Po Bird Garden

Just a cool picture of how orchids are shipped 
and unpacked from big boxes

My last picture in Hong Kong...so Chinese!



No comments:

Post a Comment