This is going to be a special story...
When I found out that that Konrad was German, I was immediately more reserved and guarded. Two of my grandparents are Holocaust survivors, and the first thing I think (wonder) whenever I meet Germans is that their grandparents might have killed my grandparents' families. I know it's dark, and that it's not this generation, but it's still something I struggle with just because I've grown up hearing so many stories about the Holocaust/ Germany from my grandparents. I have to say, I wasn't planning on telling Konrad my Holocaust connection. However, some of you may know that Kanchanaburi, Thailand played a significant role in WWII. There even is a film, called "The Bridge Over the River Kwai," which focuses on Kanchanaburi's role as a Prisoner of War camp for the Allied Forces. While the bridge has been renovated, it still stands, and it is one of the most visited sites in Kanchanaburi. Our first evening exploring the city together, we "stumbled" upon the bridge. The two of us were reading the memorial plaque near the bridge, when I made a comment along the lines of "it's interesting how some memorials can commemorate 1000 people, while others remember millions." Konrad immediately started talking about his trip to a concentration camp, and the one he mentioned is the one where my grandma was. I quietly said, "My grandma survived there." He became quiet, and it was really awkward for both of us. Then we sat down, on the bridge, and had a several hour long conversation about World War II, trying to explain why genocides happen, and Germany's role (today) in helping to promote peace. It was one of the most fascinating, unexpected, I would even say enlightening conversations I've ever had.
Not only that, but the next day we booked a tour to go hike and swim in the beautiful 7 waterfalls of Erawan National Park. Then we went to Hellfire Pass- which is where the Allied POWs were forced to help construct the Thailand Burma railway to help Japan. The POWs were treated very poorly, and many of them died. The POWs gave it the name "Hellfire Pass" because the men were forced to work into the late night, usually 18 hour days, and only bamboo torches lit their gaunt starving shadows. This image resembled Hell to the POWs. At Hellfire Pass, there is now a memorial museum, and you can walk along Hellfire Pass and the original railroad that the POWs built. Konrad and I did this, together. Then we actually rode the Death Railways (still erie) and our tour ended, again, at the Bridge Over the River Kwai. It was an unforgettable 3 days together. I still cannot believe that I explored all of these WWII sites with a German (in Thailand!) Who would have ever thought. I don't know for sure, but I have a feeling that Konrad and I will be friends for a long time :)
Me standing at the front of the Bridge Over the River Kwai
Konrad standing on the bridge
Us standing on the bridge together
Today, Thais light the bridge up for tourists. It is very pretty,
but something about the colorful pretty lights almost doesn't feel right.
A funny statue we saw (Oh, Thailand..)
Erawan Falls (Don't feed the Monkeys!)
Waterfall #1 of Erawan Falls
Me!
Konrad with some cool tree roots
Right before we jumped in and went swimming.
Such aqua, clear water!
Jungle-y :)
Waterfall #3
Me chilling in a waterfall!
Free fish pedicure! At first we didn't like it, it feels like you're
being eaten (I mean, you are) but then it feels nice! Almost addicting!
Waterfall #4 had a natural water slide!
Climbing back down to Waterfall #1
Hellfire Pass Museum
"This museum is dedicated to all the men and women who suffered and
died while working on the construction of the Burma Thailand railway
during the Second World War"
Where the railroad begins (very quiet)
It took POWs 3 hours to walk from their camp to the construction site.
That little faint trail in the distance is the route they took 2x everyday.
Walking the original railway through Hellfire Pass
Hellfire Pass
Ironically, a tree has sprouted in the middle of the Pass.
Thais believe it's good luck to cross through the hole.
I loved this tree. Very symbolic I think :)
An original railway cart that men used to carry building supplies
Waiting to ride the Death Railway.
So eerie to me that there were beautiful flowers blooming right next to it.
1940 seal
This cave was used as the hospital for the POWs.
Today, Thais have placed a Buddha into it and it is a shrine.
You can explore the crevices of the cave
View from our seat on the Death Railway
Riding the Death Railway
Once again, on the Bridge over the River Kwai
(POWs constructed, as well)
pensive moment
Lightening the mood with some tropical fruit!
Funny sign
Drinks after our day!
More drinks...with a cool Thai man
The bar across the street was called "Get Drunk for 10 Baht"
Don't worry, we went there after :)
This is what a $6/ night guesthouse looks like.
The walls were the best part: splattered with colorful paint!
Jolly Frog Guesthouse, Kanchanaburi
No comments:
Post a Comment