Friday, October 21, 2011

All about English

Today was my first day practice teaching in front of (real!) Thai students, and it was an unbelievable experience, yet possibly the most exhausting thing I’ve ever done. So much respect for all of the teachers out there! A van picked all of the Fulbrighters up at the dorms at 7:30am sharp, and drove us about 40 minutes away to an “English Camp”- a very common summer camp that Thai students attend in order to have an opportunity to practice their English. I enjoyed the van ride because it was through a new part of Bangkok (not flooded!), and the driver had many different Buddha images above his rear view mirror, as well as a picture of his baby girl (so sweet!) There was also a sticker on his windshield indicating the year 2554. According to Buddhism, it is year 2554, not 2011. Many Thais go by this year instead of/ in addition to 2011. On the drive, we passed several monks receiving food from local children and their parents. In Buddhism, one way to “earn merit” is to feed the monks, and the monks literally walk around every morning (in their orange robes and bare feet of course!) carrying big pots where they accept food donations. It is a lovely sight to see.

When our van pulled up to the school, we were led into a board room where the director of the school greeted us. P’Tip, our lead Thai Fulbright director, accompanied us so that the school would have the “honor” of her presence, too. After introductions, we were all led to a giant cafeteria-like room, where about 200 students, from 13-17 years old, were sitting on the floor in bare feet, wearing their blue school uniforms. Students take their shoes off before they enter any classroom at school, while teachers and elders get to keep their shoes on; this is just one example of how Thais show respect/ hierarchy between young and old. Teachers are especially respected in Thailand.  

All of the Fulbrighters were assigned to a row of students, and the students led us to their classrooms. The rooms were just as I expected: wooden desks and chairs, open windows with window shutters that the students close after class, a chalk board, and fans. My first lesson was on “Fruits and Vegetables,” and how to order food in a restaurant. It took me two hours to plan the lesson, activities and games, even though I only was teaching for a total of two hours. Hopefully I will get more efficient at lesson planning! Unlike most American students, Thai students are extremely shy and fearful of making mistakes in class and therefore “losing face.” It is very difficult to coax them to practice speaking out loud! After several introductions, and individually calling on every student to speak- and complementing them on their speaking, students began warming up and gaining confidence. As class progressed, I figured out that my students actually already knew a lot of the words that I was teaching them! I tried to speak a little bit of Thai with them, so that they could see that I struggle too. (Trust me, I am struggling!!!) However, I believe that when learning any new language it is so important to practice out loud, again and again and again- especially those words a student may not be comfortable with.

When class was over, my students wanted me to sign my name for them in their notebooks, and to take pictures with me. I felt like a rockstar! My class then walked me to their lunchroom for lunch. While waiting in line for food, my students pushed me ahead to the front of the line, while several different students came back with my silverware, and another one carried my food for me. They then argued over who got to sit next to me. I could get used to this!

While Thais are extremely proud that Thailand has never been colonized, some joke that if they had been colonized they would be able to speak English! I have never fully understood or appreciated how universal English is, until this trip. Tourists in Thailand have two choices of languages to use if they would like to be understood: Thai or English. It is fascinating to hear French, Spaniards, etc. ordering food or asking for directions in accented-English. Even many of the Japanese and Koreans I’ve met speak English instead of Thai. I met two Scottish backpackers yesterday, however, and they said that no Thai people understand them (I wanted to tell them that maybe it's because they don't speak English, but I figured that might not be a diplomatic thing to say!) I feel very lucky that I happen to have been born into a country where my “mother tongue” is an international language. However, this can be a crutch, too. There are pros and cons to everything.

Below are some pictures from the week. I see so many things that make me laugh everyday, mainly because I’m not used to them, because they would usually never happen in America. In the best way, Thailand can be an absolutely hilarious place.



A common sight: English signs that don't make sense.

Just a few wires, not dangerous or anything

If I were a spirit I would say, "Thanks so much for the straws in my red Fantas, now they're so much more fun to drink"

This dog just wants to be like all of the other dogs
(This is my street!)

It's really not funny that Bangkok suppliers keep selling out of food and water. However, it's a little funny when they sell out of instant noodles.

I love Fulbright for surprising us with ice-cream cakes. Especially for the one that says "Nong Nong" (aka "Little brother/ sister")

We all scream for ice-cream

Dry ice. Fun at any age.

Practice teaching! Today is Friday, so students got a break from their uniforms. One really sweet, shy girl today was wearing a shirt that said "B**ch, Please!" She had no idea what it meant.

Can't believe I get to do this for the next year 

So sweet! She sneakily did this during class, though. No wonder she interrupted me to ask me what my favorite color was :)

Cute stray dog I pass everyday on my walk to training.

My favorite little boys who I met roaming late at night near the street where I live. They don't speak a word of English. They are my groupies! Their names are Mongawn, Kaw, and Chan. 












No comments:

Post a Comment